41

Jo

My eyes fluttered opened and I immediately yawned, blinking a few times to adjust my eyes to the newfound natural light in our new master bedroom.

This is going to be an adjustment.

I looked down at Lena, whose body was pressed against my own as if it was molded to mine. She was peacefully sleeping.

I almost jumped for joy when I realized Fred and I had agreed that we were taking the day off, considering it was our birthday.

Thirty years had passed, and in a heartbeat, at that.

I pressed a soft kiss to Lena's temple, earning a giggle.

"Were you faking?" I asked, smiling.

She rolled over on her back. "Happy birthday."

"Well, thank you."

I smiled up at her and watched as she got out of bed, my eyebrows lifting at her choice of pajamas. She spun around to face me, smiling down at me.

I grabbed the bottom of her silky dress, looking up at her. "When did you put this on?"

"Well," she sighed, placing her knee on the bed, "I figured your big t-shirt wouldn't exactly be the best thing to wake up to on your birthday."

"As long as it's you, I don't care what you've got on," I muttered, pressing my lips against hers for a kiss.

I sat upright, smiling up at her as she rested her hands on my shoulders.

"Can you believe this is our home?" She asked, gawking at the master bedroom.

"I know," I said, wrapping my arms around her waist for a tight hug. I rested my head against her chest, closing my eyes as I relaxed against her.

"You've got to scavenge for your gifts today."

"Baby, I told you, no gifts."

"It's your birthday," she sighed, "I had to get you gifts."

"Ah, yes," I said, "gifts for simply being alive. I love it."

"It's a big birthday," she said, "you're getting old."

"Ah, well, you're getting on up there with me," I grinned, looking up at her.

She smiled, wrapping her arms around my neck. She ruffled her fingers through my hair, biting down on her lip. "You are so handsome for an old dude."

I pulled her into my lap, chuckling. "Yeah?"

She giggled and pressed a sweet kiss to my lips. "Come on. Let's make breakfast."

"Let's do it," I said, patting her backside. She stood up and smiled down at me, holding out her hand.

I pressed a kiss to the back of it and stood up, following her downstairs. I laughed when I saw the surprise breakfast already prepared for me, and my favorite show on TV.

"Surprise," she giggled, clapping her hands.

"Thank you, sweetheart," I said, pulling her into me for a kiss, "where's your food?"

"I'm not really that hungry," she said, shrugging, "I'll worry about it in a bit."

I walked over to the couch, lifting an eyebrow. "You're going to let me eat on the couch?"

"Just this once."

I chuckled and sat down, propping my feet up on the table in front of me. "When did you even do this?"