36

Jo

"I can't say I feel safe with this blindfold on."

I untied the blindfold and threw it in the back, smiling over at Lena. "There."

"Why'd you do that?" She asked, pulling down the visor to look at herself in the mirror.

"Can't have you feeling unsafe."

She smiled a sweet smile over at me. She leaned over the console and pressed a kiss to my cheek, smiling against my skin. "Are you going to tell me where we're going?"

"You'll see when we get there," I said.

"Well, I'll figure it out myself before then."

I smiled and went into the deep curve. Curvy roads were simply exhilarating for me.

"This is the same road we took to go meet Tanner. Oh, God, Jo, we're not going to see Tanner, are we?"

I chuckled. "Hell no."

She sighed, a hand on her chest. "First time I'm relieved that I was wrong."

I grabbed her hand and pressed a kiss to the back of it. "Just enjoy the ride."

She bit down on her lip and relaxed in her seat, placing my hand on her thigh herself. I looked over at her and held eye contact, watching her many faces. The smile, the parted lips, the lip bite. I knew this road like the back of my hand, and I could've driven it with my eyes closed.

"Hairpin," she softly muttered, her eyes still locked on mine.

"I know," I said, nodding as I skillfully executed the turn.

"You are a revelation, Josiah King," she said, a child-like smile on her face as she looked back at the road.

I rubbed her thigh with my thumb, leaning forward in my seat. "Here we are."

I turned into the driveway, and her eyes lit up at the scenery around us. Sparse trees that'd grow in beautifully in summer, dull grass that'd turn a vibrant green soon enough.

"Wow," she said, smiling. I couldn't help but to admire how she was admiring everything around her.

"Jo, gate!"

I slammed on the brakes and looked back at the road, chewing on my lip. She smiled and I cleared my throat, rolling my window down.

I pressed the button on the keypad, waiting for a voice.

"Is this Mr. King?"

"It is," I answered, and I watched the gates open.

"Josiah," she gasped, placing her hand on my arm, "it looks like a fairytale. Where are we?"

"You'll see."

We finally made it past the trees and greenery, and her jaw dropped when she saw the house in front of us.

"This is not even real," she said, "it looks like Jay Gatsby's place."

I smiled and bit down on my lip, parking my car in the circular driveway behind the car in front of us.

I turned off the car and ran around the front, opening Lena's door. She stepped out, her lips parted.

"Jo, whose house is this?" She asked, looking up at me.

I grabbed her hand and led her up the stairs leading to the door, smiling when a lady opened the door.

"There you are," she said, "hi, Mr. and Mrs. King."