seven

"Dom? Hey. I- I don't know really know what to say but I've been trying to text and call you. Could you please call me back soon?"

She let it be silent for a few seconds to think about something else to say, but she just shook her head and stopped the voicemail. Laying on her back on the bed, Julia thought about how happy she had been two days ago and how terrible she was feeling now. It was like Dom had messed up everything she had built up in the past months, but still he was the one she was calling now.

She just needed to talk to him, though, as soon as possible. She didn't even know what she would do with it after that, but she needed to speak to him.

A tear was streaming down Julia's face, falling on her pillow, but she ignored it. She had been crying for quite a while now and by now she wasn't even bothered with it anymore. Every sound made her jump, though, as she thought it was her phone ringing. So when her bedroom door squealed and slowly opened, Julia gasped and sat up.

"Hi."

"Oh hi baby," Julia said, smiling and quickly wiping her tears away when she saw it was her stepsister Sofia. She knew she should've locked the door so no one could come in, but she didn't want to send the three-year-old away now.

"You were cying," Sofia said, her voice small. She had her arm stretched as she was holding the door handle that was way too high for her.

"I was, yeah," Julia admitted, smiling and nodding.

"You okay?" Sofia asked and she pouted. It made Julia giggle softly and she nodded again. It made her realize how Sofia didn't even know who Dom was; she had never seen him. Her mother got another boyfriend right after Dom and her broke up. She had never mentioned Dom in front of Sofia either. It was strange thinking about it like that, especially because she felt like she knew Sofia for years already.

"Can I seep with you?" Sofia asked and she let the door handle go to fidget with her small hands, looking down at them.

"Now?" Julia asked her, looking at the clock to see it was only 5pm.

Sofia nodded. "I tiwed and you sad."

"Sure," Julia gave in and she motioned Sofia over, who immediately ran over to the bed and climbed on it, right onto Julia's lap. Julia had to admit that cuddling the girl did really help her and it made her feel a lot better than being alone, just waiting for Dom to call back.

"Becca made you sad?" Sofia asked, and the way she talked was too adorable for Julia not to smile widely. She shook her head and kissed Sofia's head softly.

"It's something else. Don't worry about it."

"If you seep it goes over," Sofia told Julia, closing her eyes while she snuggled closer. Julia just nodded and made sure her arms were wrapped around her step sister, keeping her warm as the toddler slowly fell asleep.

Julia had no idea how long she had been sitting like that, with Sofia on her lap trying not to move as she didn't want to wake her up, but she was fully caught up in her thoughts again when suddenly her phone rang. She jumped and quickly reached out to grab it, immediately looking at the screen. Her heart started to pound even faster when she saw who it was, and she took a deep breath before picking up the phone.

"Hey," she said quietly, trying to sound as calm as she could.

"Hey," she heard Dom's voice on the other side of the line. His voice always sounded so different through the phone; a lot more raspy. She could remember it so well from their long phone calls months ago.

"I-" Julia started, but Dom saved her.

"You talked to Max, didn't you?"

Julia's eyes widen and she immediately teared up again. "How- How do you know?"