seventeen

"Sofia wanted to say hi to you real quick."

Dom was sitting in the middle of Julia's bed and looked up from his phone once Julia entered the room with Sofia still on her hip. The little girl, who had been wanting to speak to Dom 'so badly' ten seconds ago, now got all shy and quickly hid her face in the crook of Julia's neck.

"Hi honey," Dom said gently, smiling when he saw Sofia. The girl kept her head on Julia's shoulder, though, and turned it only shortly to look at him but quickly hid her face again.

"She wanted to see if you're nice," Julia said to Dom.

"You wanted to talk to Dom, didn't you Sof?"

Julia turned back to the little girl and she walked to the bed and sat down on it, holding Sofia in her lap who hid her face in Julia's shirt now she couldn't do it in the crook of her neck anymore.

"He is scawy," she said quietly.

Julia heard Dom chuckle, which made her smile a little and she asked Sofia "why is he scary?"

Sofia shrugged. "He has pink hair."

"That's why he's scary?" Julia laughed softly, stroking Sofia's dark hair backwards and tucking it behind her ear. Sofia shook her head.

"No. Don't know."

"Do you like the pink strand?" Dom asked her, talking as gentle as he could to make sure she would stop being scared of him.

Now Sofia nodded.

"I am very jealous of your shirt, though," Dom told the toddler, pointing at her pyjama t shirt that had a lion on it. "I love lions."

"Me too," Sofia said, resting her head against Julia's chest in a way she could look at Dom. "I have one in my bed."

Dom gasped, acting shocked and he widen his eyes as he said "but that's really dangerous, isn't it?"

"He's not real!" Sofia giggled as if Dom had said something stupid, making Dom laugh as well.

"That's good. I was scared for you!"

Sofia continued giggling but hid her face in Julia's shirt again, showing she still found Dom a little intimidating.

"Sofia and I have a secret together, right Sofia? You can tell Dom about it if you want?" Julia tried, to see if the girl was going to talk to Dom again or if she should just bring her to bed and let her talk to him another time.

But the secret trick always worked, and so did it now, because Sofia nodded and looked at Dom again.

"I pomised I can't tell daddy you here."

Dom laughed softly and looked at Julia, giving her an approving nod to tell her it was a good promise.

"That's a good one. And promises are very important to keep," he told Sofia, looking back at her. Sofia nodded in agreement.

"If you stick to the promise, I can dye your hair pink like mine very soon, if you want that?"

It maybe was wrong of Dom to make a promise like that, especially because Julia knew Sofia would never stop talking about it until she actually got it. But at least it would help her stick to her promise which was the most important thing right now if Julia wanted to keep seeing Dom.

"Pomise?" Sofia asked him. She sat up straight and her big eyes started shining in excitement.

Dom nodded, reaching out to softly squeeze her cheek with his hand. "Promise."