thirty-six

Despite their doubts of moving in the first weeks of being in LA and the fact that Julia's mother wouldn't leave her alone even after the first day she texted her, they were happy they moved. Everything seemed to go so much better, and four months after they had moved into their new apartment it felt like they had a new life.

It hadn't just been a good step for their safety and health, but also for Dom's career. Ever since he started doing promo in LA, he had grown much more than before. It felt unreal.

It gave Julia the opportunity to find a good job; she booked most of Dom's performances and interviews, mainly because it was easy for her to ask him if he was okay with it.

"Sweetheart," she said, looking over at Dom who was just messing around on his bass guitar, sitting on the couch while Julia was on the bed.

"Yeah?"

"Can you do an interview on Saturday? This Saturday?"

Dom hummed as he was thinking but eventually nodded. "Sure."

Julia nodded as well and started typing her answer to the company who asked about the interview, but she looked up at Dom once more, changing her mind.

"You don't have to accept everything, you know that."

Dom had already been focusing on his bass guitar again but looked back up at Julia and nodded again. "I know. Saturday's fine though."

Julia sighed and put down the laptop on the bed for a moment. "Come here for a second."

It surprised Dom a little as if there were more people in the room she could be talking to; he first frowned and then shook his head.

"Angel it's fine."

Julia shook her head in return. "I want you to come here for a moment." She stretched her arms waiting for Dom to walk into her direction. He did put down the guitar, so she knew he would.

"Why? What's wrong?" he asked her as he walked over to the bed and let Julia grab his hands.

"You look tired. I don't want you to be overworked," she told him, pushing him down on her lap so she could gently brush her fingers over his cheekbones, right underneath his eyes. He flinched a little at the placement, making his eyes flutter a few times.

"I'm not," he denied, grabbing her wrists to push her hands away. "Don't worry."

"But you are tired."

Dom knew it was true so he just shrugged instead of arguing with her. "It's alright, though. Everyone is."

"We're cancelling the interview on Saturday so we can stay in and watch movies, yeah?" she proposed to him.

Dom bit his lip and took a quick look outside before he answered. "I really need to do the interview honey."

"You can skip one," Julia said, causing him to shake his head.

"I can't. They're all important."

The last sentence sounded much more determined than before and Dom already stood up to walk back to his bass guitar. Julia didn't pull him back, but wasn't done arguing yet.

"I know how bad you want to grow. But your health is much more important. You know it's just the start, right? You have to do this for so many more years. We have to take it more slowly."

It seemed to help him rethink what he said. He stopped walking and fidgeted with his hands instead.

"You really have to re-"