fifty-six

Sometimes dreams are predictive, sometimes they're not. In Julia's case, even though she was positive it was predictive, it was not.

And after all Dom was right when he said he had a good feeling about the baby: there was nothing wrong with it. It was still healthy and alive.

After the doctor heard Julia's story, he told them they were very lucky though. Not many babies survive an attack like that.

Dom had called their baby their "little fighter" after the doctor said that, and after that, Dom never stopped calling the baby that.

It was cute, especially whenever he said he couldn't wait to meet his little fighter. It always made her realize how good her decision of keeping the baby was.

More things made her realize that though, for example the time when Dom and Sofia saw each other again. After a very long time.

"I got a train for you! Because I hoped you would come play!" was one of the first things the little girl told Dom, tugging him along by his hand even after he just entered the house.

Julia's mother had finally told them they could come over sometime, together. Because she started trusting Dom again.

She didn't know about the baby yet, though.

"For me? That's so sweet darling!" Dom gasped as he followed her into the living room, stopping Sofia shortly just so he could politely say hi to Julia's mother.

"Yeah!" Sofia told him happily. She let his hand go when he stopped walking and instead ran over to her play corner to get him his toy train. "A pink one!"

"A pink one?" Dom asked her excitedly once he focused on her again, kneeling so he was her height and he could take the train from her. Sofia nodded and got all nervous when she probably realized how intimidating Dom still was to her.

"'Cause of your hair," she whispered, fidgeting with her small hands. Dom chuckled, and took her hands in his.

"It's sad it's not pink anymore, huh? I need to dye it again."

Sofia nodded, her face lighting up a little bit. "And mine."

"Isabel is gonna love him," Senna spoke to Julia, making her jump a little since Julia had been so focused on Dom and Sofia talking to each other.

"Isabel?" Julia asked her. Her sister laughed.

"Your kid. I bet it's gonna be called Isabel."

Senna was whispering to Julia to make sure their mother wouldn't overhear them talking about the baby, although she wasn't anywhere near them as she was preparing dinner for them all as she had promised.

Telling her mother was still one of the few things Julia was genuinely worried about. She knew the rest would be fine, especially now she was sure the baby was healthy and Dom would be with her. She was just worried about her mom's reaction after everything they had been through.

"So you think it's a girl as well?" Julia whispered back at her sister, ignoring the way her stomach turned once she thought about telling her mother. Senna nodded and giggled.

"That would be so cute," she said. "And he would be happy with it too, I think."

She nodded at Dom who was now sitting on the floor, his legs spread with Sofia sitting in between them, listening to the little girl telling stories about her trains and whatever else came up in her mind.

Julia nodded, biting her lip fondly. "He would. But a boy would be as great."

Just as she said that, she saw her mother walking back towards her which immediately caused Julia to press her lips together harshly and focus on Dom and Sofia.