thirty-seven

"And you're sure it's... him?" Julia asked, her voice barely above a whisper. 

The girl raised her shoulders and turned the phone to herself so she could look at the picture as well. "I mean, he had that blue and purple streak in his hair two months ago, right?" 

She pointed at the hair and zoomed in on it a little before looking up at Julia. Julia nodded, although it hurt to agree with her. She had dyed Dom's hair blue and purple a few months ago, because he kept asking her to. He had never had it like that before. 

"I'm sorry," the girl breathed out as she turned her phone off and slid it back in her pocket. "I shouldn't have told you about it. I just thought... you had the right to see." 

"It's alright." Julia tried to smile at the girl but she was sure she failed miserably. "I'm glad you showed me." 

"Sorry again," the girl said. "It's not even my picture anyway." 

Julia wanted to respond to her but got cut off by the door of the venue opening and Dom's voice calling her name. 

"Are you coming with me Jula?" 

While plenty of emotions were rushing through Julia's body, she gave him a quick smile and nod and tried not to show him any of the emotions she was feeling. 

She turned back to the girl once more and mumbled "thank you so much" before running to the stage door Dom was holding open for her.

She still had so many questions for the girl who just showed the picture. She should have asked if she could look at it again; or where she got it from. She just wanted to make sure it wasn't fake. People had tried to send her fake pictures before. 

Instead she decided to follow Dom into the venue, her head exploding from the amount of questions she had. The image didn't seem to leave her mind for even a second, although it became more and more blurry the longer it had been since it was shown to her. 

"You wanna soundcheck real quick?" 

She didn't notice how Dom stopped walking all of a sudden, causing her to bump into him. He giggled and Julia felt his hands around her arm for support so she wouldn't fall over. 

"Jula." 

He snapped with his fingers to finally get her out of her thoughts, getting her attention. It worked; she made eye contact with him and slowly zoned in again to process what he asked her. She nodded as an answer to the question and breathed out a quiet "yeah", leaving Dom confused as he obviously noticed something was going on. Still he decided not to question it and instead tucked her damp hair behind her ear before kissing her cheek.

"Alright. I'll set everything up, yeah?" 

She watched him walk away from her and immediately felt her thoughts taking over again. Dom seemed so.. in love with her. In the same way she was with him. Like she was the only he could ever care about like this; like she cared about him. 

But the picture just didn't make sense. 

And the second person in the picture made it even worse, because if the picture was real, that person did make a lot of sense. Julia didn't want t to make sense; she wanted it to be one big lie as always. 

Numbly, she walked to the back of the stage where she would always wait for Dom to call her on stage and practice. She actually dreaded it, as she was the worst at hiding her feelings. Especially in front of Dom. She knew he'd find out very soon. 

All she wanted was to see the girl again, to make her explain everything. 

"You ready baby?" Dom's voice broke her thoughts yet again. She flinched at his always a little too loud voice which she normally loved. The flinch gave a lot away, she knew it.