thirteen

Julia wiped her tears away and sat down on Dom's bed, ready to go to sleep.

She had only been in his house for ten minutes. The first few minutes she could only cry while Dom tried everything to make her feel better. Only when he stopped hugging her and instead offered her a glass of water and started making small jokes to make her laugh, the crying got less.

"You know what I just realized?" Julia asked Dom, who sat down next to her.

She knew he wasn't going to sleep next to her after all, as he again insisted to sleep on the couch so she could have the bed, even though she didn't even want it.

"What?" Dom asked.

"This is the third time in a row I'm spending with you."

A smile formed on her face, even though a last tear still escaped from her eye. She wiped her cheek dry with the sleeve of her shirt. 

Dom stared ahead, probably to check whether she was right, but he eventually nodded.

"Wow," he said and he chuckled, "we really are inseparable, huh?"

Julia laughed at his comment and shrugged. "Apparently."

They were silent while Julia was just looking at the closet next to the bed, thinking about the past days.

"It's crazy to think all our exes hate us because we can't stop fucking talking for some reason and it fucked up all our relationships," Dom pointed out. He laughed at the start of his sentence as it was a joke, but Julia nodded because she knew he was right.

She had broken up with Brendon because of Dom, and Dom had done the same with Ashley because of her. And now Becca had broken up with Julia because of Dom again. And it wasn't even because Julia cheated on Becca with Dom.

"We're so annoying," Julia joked, not wanting to make a too serious conversation out of it, as she was too tired to confront herself about it now or feel guilty. 

"We really fucking are," Dom chuckled, rolling his eyes pretending to be annoyed.

There was silence again, creating a weird tension between the both of them, especially after what they had just said. Julia was looking at the closet again and Dom eventually stood up after a few seconds.

"I won't bother you any longer. I'll let you sleep."

Julia nodded in agreement and watched him walking over to the door.

"Dom," she quickly said once he had opened the door, holding the door knob in his hand. He turned around, and hummed as an answer.

Julia just stared at him, not really knowing why he stopped him. Something in her said he shouldn't leave yet. She wanted to sleep, yes, but she didn't want him to leave yet.

However once they made eye contact it felt like she totally lost every word with which she could describe how she was feeling right now.

So instead of maybe telling him about her stomach that was turning whenever he looked at her directly or about the fact that she had missed him so much in the past months and she had just realized that, she said: "Sleep well. Wake me up when something is wrong."

The corner of Dom's mouth went up a little as he smiled and he nodded once.

"Sleep well."

That was when he left the room and closed the door behind him. It immediately gave Julia a weird feeling; like she was instantly missing something. And the more she tried to tell herself she wasn't, the worse the feeling got. It was like her stomach was turning and it wouldn't stop soon.