"A dinner of bread and butter makes the world go round."

Watch carefully,
The magic that occurs,
When you give a person,
Just enough comfort,
To be themselves

Upon entering the quaint house, Thomas observed the room, he saw the cobwebs clouding the corners, he saw the peeling wallpaper where there was even wallpaper. The bricks, had no paint over them and had holes in them.

The furniture was slim to none and every room apart from the bedrooms and bathrooms, it would seem, all became one room.

Thomas noticed how he never left the cold temperature from outside, there was no fire lit and there seemed to be a draft gliding over his feet and past his ankles.

Before Thomas could fully absorb the contents of the house, he heard a squeal from his side as Dorothy, who he didn't realise was still holding his hand, let go and ran towards the armchair across the room, "Mama!" She charged for a creaky old armchair that didn't look to comfortable.

Occupying the chair was a pale woman whose face seemed long and drawn in on itself. She had bruises under her eyes that looked like they'd been there for years. She looked fragile like crumbling wood or an empty old house.

"You're awake! You're out of bed!" Dorothy tackled the lady gently in a hug.

Thomas notes that the woman had curly hair just like Bonny's, but Bonny had the same dirty blonde hair colour as her father. Thomas assumed this was Bonny's sick mother.

Bonny had seemingly forgot about her fathers or Thomas' presence. Thomas only stared at the girl as she chatted enthusiastically at her tired mother, who appeared to be, though sick, very happy at her daughters presence.

Thomas was clapped on the back, "Right then, they'll be there for hours, them. Want a drink?" Bonny's father was apparently not fazed by the gangster in his house. In fact, he was rather welcoming.

"Wouldn't want to intrude." Thomas bowed his head a bit to be respectful. He didn't usually do this, but with the importance of Bonny in his life, he wanted to make a good impression.

"Ah, none of that. Ya can stay for one drink! Today's a day of celebration, Darcy's getting better! Ain't been a day like this in months!" Bonny's father stalked off somewhere and Thomas went back to his thoughts.

"Months? It's been like this for months?" Thomas could only think of what his Bonny had been dealing with all this time.
He found himself angry. Not at her, but at the world. How could the universe treat a girl like her so poorly? How could the universe not put food on the plate of the wise; or not the race to the swift; or the wealth to the hard-workers?

"And who's this young lad in my home, Poppet?" Bonny's mum peered over her shoulder.

Dorothy gasped and clapped her hands. She rushed over to Thomas and pulled him by the forearm towards her mother.

"Bubs-err-Thomas, this is my mother, Mama, this is Thomas." Dorothy once again winced at her words.

"Call me Darcy." She nodded her head in Thomas' direction, not shaking his hand. He assumed it was for fear of spreading something rather than his name, so he didn't take it personally.

"Call me Tommy." Thomas nodded back.

"So how did you two meet? You've never brought any friend home? Not even your old mate Matilda." Darcy inquired.

"Ah, well you see mum..."
Dorothy went on to tell the story of how they had met, leaving out the gun to her face, of course.

Once her father had come back through with a bottle of rum and cracked it open, the conversation flowed more, though Bonny didn't drink, it didn't stop her from banging on about how she came to meet Thomas.