"I have a soul as old as Rome."

Lift with your knees, Atlas, the heavens are a burden but in the starlit ink of constellations you have written:
Endure.

Thomas heard the sound reverberate around his head. Bouncing from wall to wall, synapse to synapse. The sound of broken screams that left the throat dry.

She had blood clinging to her fingers and forehead when she brushed away her fringe. She screamed for hours and hours. Thomas, his brothers and Aunt Polly watched on. They were unmoving and stood like statues. The noise was deafening.

After what felt like several hours, Arthur stepped forward and pulled Dorothy's trembling hands from her fathers cheeks as she tried to wake him up. She let out a bear like growl when he grabbed her shoulders.

Not before long, he grabbed her arms and hoisted her out of the room. Her feet dangling slightly as she reached out over Arthur's shoulder, the sound was scratchy and dry.

——

Two weeks later and the mind numbing sound of Dorothy's wails haunted the Shelby household.

They made arrangements, with Darcy for funeral plans. Dorothy would have done it but no one a part from Ms. P and the children had seen her for two weeks.

The funeral was held three days after Dean Monroes death and the only people who attended were Darcy and Dorothy.

Dorothy didn't know, but the children had stood a few feet away at the funeral. They had to leave when Leah started to sniffle at the sight of a woman who she considered a sister to be in that state.

The Shelby family would have attended to support their friend, but the weighted feeling that sat over their heads now made them think that they had no right to attend the funeral.

They knew to a certain degree that they were to blame. They knew they could have done something. And now they'd lost a loved one for it.

They always said angel tears burned the most.

——

It was a Saturday evening.
Dorothy was sat out on her stool in the open clear-out day market wagon they had. She sat with her head in her hands.

Her breathing was deep and wavered slightly. She was hungry and tired. She stifled a sob when she heard the sounds of feet putter-pattering on the cobbles.

She knew that the kids knew. Dorothy just figured that word got around like that in Small Heath.

"Miss Dotty-Anne!" Dorothy squeezed her eyes shut before lifting her head and snapping her eyes open.

"Hey guys!" Dorothy put on her best smile. The kids brightened her day no matter what, "help yourself, I've got some left over Pookie's here!"

"You won't believe it, Dotty! I think Tammy's gonna start walkin' soon!" Matilda grinned at Dorothy. She had gaps in her teeth, which made her smile even more sweet.

Dorothy gasped and clapped her hands, "that's so exciting, Tilda! Tell you what, when you've finished a few bites, we'll take her inside and see if we can help her."

Recently the kids have said that Tammy's now eating more solid foods, so Dorothy took her in her lap and gave her small bits of bread to naw on.

After everyone had finished, Dorothy took the remaining food and shoved them in a brown bag for Leah to take. They headed inside and Dorothy contemplated how to go about this sort of thing.