Chapter Sixteen-Blood Lines

When the warm sun hits my face, I quickly realize my mate is nowhere to be found.

I get up and hop into the shower.

As the water runs down my face I feel my stomach start to turn at all the thoughts pooling through my mind.. as well as not eating anything yet.

I get dressed and head downstairs towards the kitchen.

When I arrive downstairs I expected someone to be down there, but once again...no one.

I arrive at the kitchen, and after grabbing some food, I start to eat.

I finish my food and clean up and walk outside into the back by the pool and the open field.

I look around and I see no one.

Where is everyone?

I hear the sound of paws behind me which makes my face light up into a smile.

I turn around expecting my mate, only to see a wolf I have never seen before.

He starts walking closer and I back away with his every step.

He starts to walk faster, until I feel my back hit a tree.

Here I am trapped between a tree and a wolf... where is Zach?

The wolf starts to lowly growl as it gets closer and I start to think, "shift, just shift, come on."

I will my body to shift but nothing happens.

The wolf gets low like he's ready to pounce, then he jumps into the air towards me.

I let out a scream and close my eyes awaiting my death.

I hear a snarl but it sounds different, I look up to see Kent's wolf holding this other wolf down.

I take a large breath of relief as I hear "Did he hurt you?"

I'm still amazed at the fact I can hear him so easily.

I shake my head no before asking "Kent, where is Zach?"

"He sent me to protect you, there is a lot going on today."

"He told me to take you with me to my territory till he is done and it is safe here."

"Kent I don't think I"

The wolf that was pinned down jumps up and runs away and Kent comes over and lays down.

"Either you get on, or I will make you get on"

He half scares me when he says this, but I decide I should when that wolf from before starts running back to us with two other wolves.

I grab onto his fur as he stands up and starts sprinting towards the river where Zach and I met.

It only makes me miss Zach more, I close my eyes and try to focus.

"Zach, can you hear me?"

After a few seconds I start to doubt, until I hear, "River, baby, where are you, where did you go?"

"Kent said you wanted me to go with him till it's safe."

I can basically feel Zach's voice change as he speaks again,
"Kent's men, where the ones attacking us, you need to get away from him."

"I'm coming, where are you?"

In basically fear, I yell in my head "the river!"

Kent's wolf leaps over the river with ease into what I assume is his land.