Chapter 2: Here goes nothing

********************************

"I'm pathetic!" I wailed and dropped heavily on Mia's fluffy king-sized bed, burying my face into one of her pillows.

"That's an understatement." Mia was definitely eyeing me with distress after hearing what had happened to me earlier today. They were no strangers to my stupid crush on Ayden Smith and my lack of luck when it came to it.

"You're so extra." Riley was most probably rolling her eyes at me.

Among the three of us, no one was trying to make me feel any better about myself. I turned over to grab a slice of pizza and stuffed it in my mouth, being careful not to drop it on the bedsheets.

We were all sprawled on the bed in our pyjamas and talking about all sorts of things while eating various assortments of food placed on a small foldable table in the middle.

The TV screen on her wall was paused at the rolling credits of 'Me and Earl and the dying girl' since as soon as the movie had ended we went back to eating unhealthy food and lying around while I told them my sad excuse of an encounter with Ayden Smith.

"You need to get over your silly crush Sky, it's been what, two years?" Riley said exasperated, clearly tired of having this conversation too many times.

It's been one year and seven months, but who's counting?

"It's easier said than done..." I sulked. I tried to move on, there was this one time when Charlie from my math class asked me out on a date and I said yes, needless to say, that went horribly. And when he dropped me back at home I immediately ran inside scared that he might kiss me. Utter disaster!

"You know what you need... closure," Mia said to me and Riley sputtered on her glass of water.

"What the heck Mia, it's not like they are dating on and off... " Riley exclaimed loudly.

Mia gave her a flat look and then turn to face a very confused looking me, "what I meant to say is, there's this doubt about 'will he, won't he' going on in your mind constantly so you have to find out and then maybe you can move on...closure." She ended dramatically.

"That all makes sense, but there's a humongous plot hole in your story, I know that he won't. I do not doubt it whatsoever." He doesn't even talk to me, there's no way he'd consider even being friends. "Riles come on, back me up here... "

"You may be right, but you don't know for sure," Riley said, shocking me.

"Oh come on, not you too... " I groaned. "So what do you want me to do, ask him out and see if he agrees?" I said sarcastically. I was met with two sets of silence.

"That's not a bad idea." Mia shrugged.

"I mean yeah, at least you'll get your answer," Riley added, making me stare at both my friends with shock.

"Wow. I didn't know my friends preferred me to be depressed and rejected..." I spoke dejectedly.

"Don't be dramatic, I mean what's there to lose-"

"My dignity, self-respect and peace of mind." I supplied.

Mia stared me down but did not affect me. "We just want you to stop..." She cut herself off.

"Stop what?" I asked, stop being myself? Stop throwing myself a pity party?

Well... maybe I should.

"Stop sniffing his handkerchief, it's creepy!" Riley finished.

"It smells nice, like his soap and laundry detergent." I tried to defend myself.