Chapter 12: To define is to limit

**********************************

I now understand why some people have their relationship status as 'it's complicated', I totally get it, but I can't seem to stop the smile that has spread across my face like white on rice.

Whatever it was between Ayden and me, it was definitely complicated. But for some reason, it was also very simple and whatever it was, I didn't mind.

I read the text message that said he'll be here soon, it made me smile as I stuffed my phone back inside my bag.

I was back at the central library and today we were discussing another book that everyone had read, including me. I couldn't wait to get started because today I would actually have something to contribute.

My copy of The Picture of Dorian Gray was safety tucked in my bag as I walked straight to the book club.

I was a little shocked to see that the room was being arranged, I thought the chairs were always set in a huge circle... Apparently not. Not everyone was here yet, but I could spot Hazel and this other guy Oliver. They were setting the chairs around the table in the centre.

"Hey, Skyler!" Hazel greeted me with an enthusiastic smile. "I'm so glad you came, I can finally talk to someone." She said.

"Hey Hazel, hey Oliver," I said not wanting to be rude. He grunted something that was supposed to be a greeting. I frowned.

"Don't worry about Oliver he is like a wall, you'll talk to him and he'll never talk back and eventually your own words start to echo, so don't bother..." She joked.

I looked at Oliver to see if he was offended, but he wasn't, he rolled his eyes and continued working around the place.

Oh wow... and here I thought Ayden talked less.

I helped them with the arrangements and got busy with the little things, Hazel left to get some coffee from the supply closet, apparently, we were all out of it.

"Where are the coffee mugs?" I asked Oliver.

He pointed at a cabinet. I opened it and found them immediately, I arranged a dozen cups on the tray.

"Are these many enough?" I asked him just to make sure.

"Yes..."

I kept them next to the coffee machine as I asked him, "Today's book is your recommendation right?"

"Yes."

"So, what did you think of the book... what made you want to recommend it?" I was really curious and didn't care that it killed the cat.

"You'll know when I tell everyone else. " Was his simple response.

"Woah... You really don't speak much." I mumbled, but I'm sure he heard the room was really silent and what Hazel said was true, my words were echoing. I really thought she was joking about that.

"You speak enough for both of us." He said and for the first time, I saw a small smile on his face. He looked a lot more handsome but he was still no match for Ayden.

I frowned. Why am I comparing him with Ayden? I must be losing my mind.

I haven't seen Ayden in two days but it seemed like it was way longer. We talk on the phone though, he would call me or text me mostly at midnight, I have realised he was a bit of a night owl but I didn't mind, I could gladly stay up late and talk to him instead.... Who needs sleep...Pfft?

When Violet came with her brother Nathen the silence was shattered. The little boy had so much energy he could talk nonstop.

"Skyler!" He high fived me enthusiastically, it was kind of a low five because he was shorter than me.