Chapter 7: Missing you maybe

*********************************

I stood watering the seedlings with a smile on my face, they have grown so well in the last two days and already a few of them had tiny leaves emerging from them.

"Davis, you've got visitors!" Noah bellowed from the counter making me look up at him immediately.

Peering out the slightly glazed glass door I could see Cameron and Riley standing outside with Mia looking uncomfortably like a third wheel. I met them two days ago so of course, I missed them!

I turned off the water and dropped the hose before rushing towards them. Noah followed me out obviously to try and sell them something.

"Why are you still working?" Mia said nervously, she was clearly scared to be stuck as a third wheel for a longer time. She came forward and hugged me and in my ear, she said, "They are being all cute and gross. Help!" I chuckled.

"My shift will end in the next fifteen minutes, but if you guys loiter around distracting me Em won't like it," I told them.

"Are you trying to get rid of us?" Cameron said in a fake offended tone, but nobody paid attention to him.

"Oh shut up, we know Em won't mind, she loves us." Riley rolled her eyes. Unfortunately, she was right Emily liked my friends a little too much.

"Do you guys want to buy strawberries? These are fresh and really good." Noah piped in, holding up a punnet of juicy strawberries harvested freshly from our garden.

Riley and Mia were used to his salesmanship but Cameron apparently really liked strawberries, "I would like some!" He said excitedly. Noah didn't waste time in selling him some, scared that he might change his mind any minute.

When Noah went inside to get him a receipt, Cameron started munching on one strawberry that he wiped on his shirt, and said, "his Cologne is mintier than my toothpaste."

I laughed, "I once told him he smells like a mint bush and he got happy because bushes are his favourite kind of plants."

"Also your comment didn't offend me because mint is not a bush," Noah said coming up behind me.

"Stop acting like your botanical knowledge is superior, if I remember correctly I was the one who told you that fact." I tattered as he gave Cameron his receipt and change.

He muttered something about 'not being able to brag around me...' I ignored him.

"If you need any help we can lend a hand, we all can hang out after your shift ends." Mia offered, Riley and Cameron didn't object, but that was because Riley was trying to steal her boyfriend's strawberries and he kept smacking her hand away.

Riley suddenly looked up and nodded, registering our conversation a moment later, "Yeah totally, what's left to do?"

"I just have to water some plants, it won't take long..." I said, a little unsure because the last time they tried this they all started a water fight and we had to clean up a whole mess.

"Oh... that's easy, let's go!" Cameron said and marched on, and everyone else followed.

The next twenty minutes my friends spent over-watering and under-watering the remaining plants and I had to teach them the right way.

Don't get angry Skyler, they mean well!

The only person I was thankful for was Cameron because he only stood around eating his fruits rather than helping.

Noah watched my misery with a huge grin on his face. I made a motion of slicing his throat with my hand.

After my shift ended we were all feeling lazy so we ended up at Bailey's right across the street.