Chapter 6: Date or not?

****************************

I was lying in my bed going through my phone when it buzzed in my hands.

A: Skyler, what are you doing tomorrow, do you have any plans?

I stared at the text message like a deer caught in headlights not knowing what to do. Did Ayden just text me or am I seeing things?

Quick say something cool!

My fingers shook and typed a bunch of bullshit as I attempted to write a reply. I had to delete a lot of illegible garbage before finally I managed a single sentence, and pressed send.

S: Other than the part-time job I have no plans.

Something cool? Sure! I'm a lost cause.

I re-read what I sent. Wait! Do I sound like I've got no life?

His reply came quickly, and I almost dropped my phone on my face when it vibrated in my hands.
A: When do you get off work?

I didn't have to think about it, and this time typing was a lot easier.

S: At 5 pm.

A: Do you want to hang out after?

That's like asking 'do I like ice-cream?' Hell yeah!

I realised such a response would be too forthcoming and I needed to tone down my excitement. I quickly typed,

S: I would like that, what do you have in mind?

****************************

"That is very much a date!" Mia said, effectively making my mind a muddled up mess.

"Yeah, it sounds like a date." Riley backed her up.

I was meeting my friends right before my shift at the greenhouse. Mia, Riley and Cameron were sitting with me as we ate fries and hamburgers for a very unhealthy lunch.

"But he didn't say that it's a date!" I argued.

"Sounds like even he doesn't know that it's a date, poor guy..." Cameron commented.

"He said we'll be hanging out..." I mumbled.

"Well, is there anyone else joining you?" Mia asked.

"Not that I know of... " I replied.

"He knows that you like him and he asked you to hang out? He must be kidding!" Riley looked angry, her hand was in a fist and she thumped the flat surface of our table making everything on it shake.

"Chill Riles, it's a date they just don't know it," Cameron said to her softly, trying to calm her down as he held her hand.

Oh no no no!

Oh my god, am I really going out on a date today? After work? With Ayden? Holy cow!

"Urgh, how did I not realise... I hate myself!" I announced as both my best friends looked at me and blinked before overlooking the fact that I was having a mental breakdown because of the sucky way my brain works.

"Why are you always a complete disaster when it comes to him?" Mia sighed.

"I don't know... " I whined as I buried my face in my greasy hands.

"This is why I don't like having a crush, people start behaving like brainless potatoes... " Mia said.

Riley tried to reassure, "Well, at least you're getting somewhere... You can do better than him, to be honest." She was still angry.