Chapter 4: Closure or confusion?

****************************

The longest pause followed my words, as I looked at him, expecting him to say something. Okay, maybe it wasn't the longest pause, but it might have lasted at least thirty million years.

He looked right back at me with bewildered and thoughtful eyes, while my heart thumped faster and my cheeks flushed.

Since he wasn't speaking I felt like I was supposed to, and so...that's how my rambling began. "I bet you didn't expect that, but I've had a crush on you for a while now and I never really said anything, mostly because whenever we talk it's always about something random and I'm such a mess. My friends say that if I just told you how I felt we could give it a shot, if you wanted to that is... or not, whichever it is, I'm okay with anything... "

The silence stretched again and this time I was seriously lost for words.

'I'm okay with anything?' Seriously Skyler? It's not an option between pizza and pasta! Get it together!

"Okay... cool." He finally spoke. I was relieved that he did, but the relief was short-lived when their meaning sank in.

Okay...cool?

What the heck?
Of all the reactions I expected, this was not even close.

"Give me your phone." He said holding out his hand and I stared up at him and wordlessly passed on my phone. He typed something in it and then a moment later his own phone rang in his pocket but he didn't even reach for it.

"This is my number." He showed me the tiny screen of my phone with his name and contact details, I felt a little bit dizzy. "I'll save your number, we'll talk later, I have to get to my shift now." He told me.

"Your shift?" I asked, clueless.

"At the library... I work here." He told me. Oh... and here I thought he came for some leisure reading.

"Right," I mumbled, feeling a little light-headed.

"You know your way around here?" He asked, seemingly considerate of that fact.

"I can figure it out," I said, he waited a bit, looking a little unsure.

"Great, so I'll leave?" He asked, again sounding awfully thoughtful, and like he would stay with me if I just said the word.

"See you later." I forced myself to smile instead.

He nodded, and then he turned around and jogged away disappearing just as he made a sharp turn around the corner.

My mind was befuddled as I made my way out of the library somehow and found myself walking on the sidewalk.

What the fuck happened right there? This makes no sense. Clarity? Closure? I scoffed.

Sure! What I got was the absolute opposite!

I am going to kill Mia!

If it wasn't for her stupid idea, I wouldn't be in this mess right now. This stupid mess was evidently all my doing.

You should confess. Ask him out. Get an answer and if he says no, move on! What a load of crap!

Oh man... what am I going to do?

I walked on with slumped shoulders towards my home with all of these thoughts in my mind. I forgot to take the bus and just walked all the way.

When I got home after half an hour, I went to my room, simply removed my shoes, tossed them aside and placed my bag on my desk...

I probably would have done something else if I was an alcoholic or drug addict, but since I was a sleepaholic... I walked over to my bed and fell on it, face-first.

When my phone rang rather loudly and woke me up, I realised I had fallen asleep and it was already getting dark outside.

I picked up my phone before it went to voicemail and without bothering to check the caller ID answered in a husky sleepy voice, "Hello?"

"Sky! Why are you sleeping right now?" Mia's voice spoke through the phone.

"Be glad I'm exhausted Mia or I would have cursed you every name in the book, it's all your fault!" I grumbled out.

"What happened today? Riles told me you were gonna confess? Did you really?" She seemed genuinely shocked I could do something like that.

I scoffed. "Come to my place and bring Riley. I don't want to repeat the story twice." I said and hung up knowing she would follow through.

********************************

By the time my friends showed up I had pulled myself together, made myself look a little more presentable and made a cup of coffee for us.

When I opened the door for them with a steaming cup in my hand, they both gawked at me like they weren't expecting me to be alright, Riley sighed in relief looking at me and then she moved forward to hug me, I managed to hug her back while balancing the coffee cup somehow.

Mia stared at me with worried eyes like she expected me to pass out any minute now.

"What happened?" Riley said as she broke the hug and we all went to the living room.

"Are you alright?" Mia asked as she followed. We all sat on the couch, me between the two of them.

"Do you guys want coffee?" They both refused, I think this was the first time they actually said no to coffee. I didn't know if I should be concerned.

"What did he say?" Riley asked, growing impatient.

"Seriously Sky, tell us already... " Mia added.

I sighed, picked up my phone from the coffee table, went to his contact information page and showed it to both my friends. They both gawked at it like they were hallucinating, but once it sank in Mia squealed and Riley blinked.

"What, but how?" Riley looked more and more confused with each passing moment and so I decided to tell them what actually happened.

Recounting everything was mentally exhausting but I did it anyway, I needed to know what their thoughts were.

After I was done telling them Mia spoke up, "So he gave you his number and left?" Her confusion was very much evident.

"After you said all that the only thing he said was 'Okay cool'?" Riley looked angry.

"Do you guys think he's messing with me, I mean I know he doesn't like me, I don't understand his reaction at all... " I sighed and fell back on the couch.

"He is one weird fella...I can't tell what's going on in his head." Mia thought aloud.

"I know he was a man of few words but such little words, seriously?" Riley was still on that, suddenly she turned to me and said, "Do you think he said that because he didn't want to reject you or something like that... "

Mia slapped Riley's arm, saying that the suggestion was ridiculous...but, it sort of made sense.

I frowned at that, Pity?
Wow... just what I needed.

*************************

What are your thoughts on this chapter?

I don't get enough feedback, so it's really hard for me to judge my writing, I really want to know what the readers are thinking, also, constructive criticism is always welcome. 

Please, do vote and comment it would mean the world to me!

Thank you so much for reading.

*****************************