Chapter 3: Crucial Confession

********************************

The Central Library was a gigantic building that I've passed by hundreds of times but I never really thought about going inside.

It's not that I don't read or hate books or anything like that, it's just that Central Library wasn't my first thought whenever I was in need of books or study material. The library in my school was well equipped and it was more than sufficient for my light reading.

At the main entrance, the lady at the reception asked me if I wanted a membership and I asked her I wanted to look around first to make up my mind, she smiled and allowed me inside.

The inside of the building was just as impressive as outside, the ceilings were high with intricate paintings and designs. The European style windows were high up allowing light to enter.

The main room was the study hall, where long mahogany tables were occupied with people of all age groups, sitting and reading various books and papers. I scanned their faces but couldn't find Ayden among them.

I walked ahead and climbed a spiral staircase that led me to the next level which was where all the books were sorted.

It did not at all surprise me that Ayden came here regularly. This place was perfect for him. It was silent, hardly anyone even looked at me as I browsed the shelves upon shelves of thick books. Nobody here was interested in conversations and I had to walk softly since my footsteps made noise. I imagined my voice would echo if I made the mistake of speaking.

I didn't know how I could find him, this place was huge, and even if we both were here we could easily miss each other, in fact, it was bound to happen.

I decided to find myself a book and sit in the study hall since that seemed like the most logical thing to do. I wouldn't miss him that way, or at least there's less chance.

So that's how my quest for the book that would keep me entertained began. I looked through many shelves, bounced from book to book as I picked up seemingly interesting books, read the synopsis and placed them back in their place.

I was hanging out in the fiction section of the library and it was utterly dizzying how many books there were in this section alone.

There were ladders attached to the shelves to reach the higher selves and I was standing on one such ladder as I reached for a book who's spine said Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy.

I cracked it open and began reading and within minutes I was captivated, so much so that I didn't even sense anyone coming around the corner.

"What are you doing here?"

A voice startled me as I jumped and it didn't help that I was standing on a ladder, the book I was reading flew out of my hand as I gasped in horror before landing on my butt quite roughly.

Arggg... I groaned as I looked up at none other than Ayden who looked utterly concerned as he rushed towards me immediately. "I'm fine, I'm fine I wasn't too high up on the ladder-... "

I began to speak but trailed off as he picked up the fallen book and began inspecting it for damage just a foot near me. He looked absolutely worried like he'll have to take the book to the hospital on a stretcher.

"Thank God it's not ripped." Then he turned to me suddenly and said in a hushed but sharp voice "you need to be more careful with the library books."

I frowned up at him like he was unbelievable, "well, you shouldn't have scared me." I mumbled as I pulled myself to a standing position ignoring the pain in my butt.