Chapter 10: I prefer the term genius

*************************************

I was out shopping for groceries since my dad apparently needed some very specific ingredients for creating a new dish. I checked my phone for the shopping list- Mustard, Avocados, Vanilla sticks, Sesame seeds, Cilantro...

God knows what he's trying to make, nonetheless, I quickly pushed my cart and filled it with ingredients, as I went and checked each item off the list.

Thank god I had my dad's car with me, the thought of carrying all this in a public bus was a nightmare.

After I bought everything I needed, I paid the cashier and then picked up my bags to walk to the car. The bags were heavy and weighing me down as I carried them with difficulty.

"Hey, Skyler..." Someone called and I turned in the direction of the voice. "Let me help you." A familiar voice said reaching for the bags in my hand.

"Caleb?" I said, a little surprised at seeing his familiar brown hair and brown eyes, he was just as tall as Ayden which meant I had to look up at him as he stood there. "Hy! What are you doing here?"

"I'm just heading to meet Ayden." He took two bags from my hands and I insisted on carrying the other two by myself so he didn't argue but gave me the lighter ones. He lifted those heavier bags with ease. Show off!

"He lives in this area?" I asked, truly surprised, I've been here many times, I never ran into him though.

"No. I'm just meeting him at the pool." He said jutting his thumb out at the swimming pools across the street.

"You are?" I raised an eyebrow genuinely shocked at their plans.

"What? We do spend time outside of book-clubs and libraries you know!" He said defensively.

"I never said you didn't," I replied, smiling at his uptight response.

"You basically implied we are uber-nerds with your tone..." He rolled his eyes.

"Well...hate to break it to you, but you kinda are." I teased, smiling slightly.

"I prefer the term genius." He said after giving it a thought.

"Of course you do." I laughed. We walked up to my car and placed all the bags in the back seats.

"Woah... you have a fridge in your car?!" He exclaimed, looking at the mini-fridge that my dad had gotten installed.

"Yeah, this is my dad's car, he's a chef, he often goes shopping for groceries at faraway places," I told him.

"Cool." He mumbled, sounding impressed. I stocked the dairy products and frozen stuff in the mini-fridge and closed it. Shopping for dad was such a chore.

When Caleb's phone started ringing he reached for it as he dug in his pockets and fetched it out. "Ayden!" He answered the phone with enthusiasm, but whatever Ayden was saying suddenly had him cringing.

"Dude you can lecture me later, for now just come out in front of the Walmart right across the pool." He said, I shook my head urgently from side to side, telling him not to call Ayden here, but he ignored me as he listened to his friend.

The last time I met him was two days ago and that ended in complete embarrassment.

"No in four years... of course right now!" Caleb said sarcastically as he grinned at my worried expressions.

"You'll find out once you get here." There was a pause as Ayden spoke. "Yes, I'm right here... I'm waiting." He ended the call.

"Do you wanna grab something to eat once he comes, I'm kinda hungry, swimming can wait." He said brightly.