Chapter 5: Boy problems

************************

I was digging through the dirt persistently, trying to cut out a particularly stubborn weed. I had a heap of unwanted grasses and weeds I'd collected so far as I went around the potted plants cleaning them off the unwelcome invasion.

I had come in early this morning on Emily's request, she had to leave the city for some supplies and asked me to open the greenhouse.

So far, I had to clean the entire place, water all the plants and clear all the weeds, when Noah walked in with his wide smile, "Hey Davis, where's Em?"

I didn't look up from my work as I answered, "Out for some supplies..."

"Right..." He tied his apron around his waist and went in to get the cleaning supplies from the supply cabinet.

He came right out and got started with his work. "Please don't use Purex for the floor like you did last time... "

"Hey, I didn't know it was a laundry detergent! They should write that down on the bottle!" He complained.

"They do, but some people don't bother reading," I mumbled loud enough...

I moved on to our tiny ficus plants and started loosening up the soil so that water could percolate easily.

Noah danced around with his mop while singing 'Happy together', he basically performed a whole concert for the plants in the greenhouse. I ignored him as usual.

That's how another one of my days began, I was clearly lost in thought when Noah's loud voice pulled me out of my reverie. "Don't kill tony!" He yelled from across the room.

I was startled back into reality and realised I was about to uproot an innocent ficus thinking it was a weed. I unhanded it and jumped away like it was gonna attack me. My sickle clattered to the floor.

"Oh thank god it's okay.." Noah was now standing next to me looking worried for the well being of the plant. "Don't worry Tony, you'll get more food and water today..." He consoled the plant. "And I'll be having a few words with your tormentor." I rolled my eyes at that.

"You named it Tony?" I asked him with narrowed eyes. This boy is so much work. "What, did you name all the plants here?"

"No...only the ones I planted." He answered, then he started pointing at other ficus plants and spoke, "This is Bianca, Thomas, Miranda and Alvin in the back, he's a little shy. Say 'Hey' Davis."

"Hey..." I raised my hand for a wave, but then immediately dropped it when I realized what I was doing. Oh god.

"These are also my babies, he pointed at the petunias, this is Noah Jr and Noah Jr Jr.," He said. "He even looks like me." I tried not to face-palm.

"How original..." I said. "I didn't know you were more than a little loco."

"Hey now, you were the one about to uproot an innocent Tony." He tried to defend. "I have told you many times Davis if you're daydreaming about me at least do it when I'm not around." And then he ran away because he knew he was gonna get punched.

Stupid boys.

I picked up my sickle and got back to work when once again Noah calling my name pulled me out of my thoughts.

"Huh?" I said distractedly as I looked up at him. "What?"

He for once, frowned down at me, "I've called your name thrice already Davis, why are you so lost today?"

"I don't know... " I answered honestly.

He came closer, offered me his hand and when I held it he pulled me up to make me stand. "I was gonna go get milkshakes from Bailey's but you're coming with me, you definitely need a break."