The next morning was loud.

Everyone was gathered by the door when Gina came down the stairs. She had her old leather duffel bag slung over her shoulder and an outfit she had brought with her on her body; a t-shirt and a pair of jeans. The bruises on her arms were partially visible, but she didn't care. They were healing quickly. No one noticed she was in the room, even when she got down to the bottom floor. They were all busily trying, one last time, to convince Alan to get her to stay somehow. She smiled as she listened to them.

"You can't let her go," Giles said. "You were so gloomy this morning. I miss the happy man I saw in my kitchen yesterday."

Alan rolled his eyes. "She has to go. There's nothing I could say to make her stay.

"I wouldn't be so sure," Kate spoke up. "I bet if you told her you loved her, then she would stay."

He glared at her. "I like her. I haven't known her long enough to love her."

"Still, have you even told her you like her?" Eva demanded.

"Yes, I told her yesterday. Look, I appreciate what all of you are trying to do. Lord knows why you want me to fall in love. It's nothing but trouble."

Gina had to laugh at this, but she was careful not to make a sound. She didn't want them to know she was there just yet.

"She must already know, Mr. Collins," George put in. "My mother told me once a woman always knows before the man does. She called it intuition."

"She wouldn't be leaving at all if she thought Mr. Collins loved her," Grace pointed out. She turned to Alan. "You have to tell her."

Alan shook his head. Gina could tell he was getting frustrated. "I don't love her. I like her. She's a sweet girl and she has a good heart. I could see myself falling hard for her, but it's not going to happen. She wouldn't be leaving if she didn't have a good reason."

Maggie cleared her throat, capturing the attention of everyone. Up until then, she had been silent. She paid no attention to anyone else in the room. Her stern gaze was locked on Alan.

"I know what I saw last night," she told him. He gave her a warning glance, but she ignored it. "I know what I walked in on. Don't tell me you don't have strong feelings for her. You don't just like her."

Alan swallowed hard. He knew she was right. He had almost kissed her last night. He had wanted to kiss her. She was right there in his arms and they were so close!

"It's insane, Maggie. I've only known the woman for two days."

"And already she has captured your heart like no one else has ever been able to."

He sighed wearily. "I'm not having this discussion. I'm too old for her anyway."

Maggie rolled her eyes. "Oh pish posh!"

"She is half my age, Maggie."

"The soul is ageless, Alan. I'm sure she hasn't even thought about it."

Gina closed her eyes for a moment. She didn't know what to say. She felt guilty for standing there now. This conversation was meant to be private and she heard every single word. She gulped and opened her eyes back up. Maggie was right about one thing. She had never even thought one time about his age except when Amy first told her. Even then she thought he was handsome to be fifty. She wondered how old he thought she was. She wasn't half his age at all. She was a lot older than she looked.