There were policemen everywhere when Alan arrived at the scene. He was tired, cold, and out of breath. When they called him from Gina's cell phone, he knew something was terribly wrong. He was even more surprised when Agent Harmon was the one on the other end. He searched the scene for him frantically. Harmon wouldn't tell him anything over the phone, only he should come right away. Frantic with worry and fear, Alan had taken his private jet to the nearest airport, which was twenty miles away. He never used it except in emergencies. Finally, he spotted John a few steps away and he ran toward him.

"John!" Alan shouted.

John turned around to face him, a grim expression on his face. "Good morning, Alan."

The sun had just started to rise in the east and the first rays of sunlight began peeking through the trees.

"I'm sure there's nothing good about it," he said coldly. "Please, John. Tell me she's not dead. Tell me Gina is alive."

Agent Harmon shook his head sadly. "I'm afraid not."

Alan buried his face in his hands. "No, no, no." An agonizing howl escaped him. He was surprised when John offered a pat on the back to try and comfort him.

"I'm sorry, Alan. This is all my fault."

He uncovered his face. "How is it your fault?"

"Well, you obviously didn't do it. The killer I've been looking for all this time is still out there. Gina was shot right through the heart just like the others."

"It has to be her ex, John. It has to be Jack."

"Do you remember his last name?"

"Keebler, I think."

John nodded. He got out his cell phone and gave someone named Kelly a call. He told her to get all the information she could on Jack and call him when she was finished. He closed the phone and shoved it in his pocket.

"I'm sorry, Alan. I was wrong about you," he admitted. "Maybe if I-"

"Had blamed the killer and not me?" Alan asked bitterly. He closed his eyes for a second. Maybe it would all go away and this whole thing had just been a horrible nightmare. When he opened his eyes again, John was still standing in front of him, a guilty expression on his face. "I'm sorry. I just- Gina- I was in love with her. I know it sounds crazy if you think about it. We only knew each other for a couple of days, but she was a light in the dark."

"Actually if I think about it, Alan. It's not crazy at all." He smiled sadly. "I've always been a firm believer of love at first sight."

Alan took a deep breath. "I want to see the crime scene."

"I don't think it's a good idea," John told him. "I've seen it with my own two eyes. There is a lot of blood. Gina was shot almost point-blank."

"And no one heard the shot?"

"Yeah. No one called me though until they had already processed the scene and when I got here, I called you. I found her cell phone and your number was the only one in the memory."

Alan felt like there was a knife protruding from his heart. He was broken. There was no coming back from this. Yes, the others he helped were dead too, most of them anyway, but this was different. This was Gina. She wasn't like any of the others. She was special to him. She would always be special to him.

"I still want to see the scene. I want to see her."

"Alan-"

"I want to see her now!" he shouted. Tears rolled down his cheeks. "I want to see for myself."