The driver of the black SUV had been following Alan and Gina since they left the Collins Estate that morning. So far he had done a pretty good job of keeping himself hidden from them, but when Alan looked dead at him with those piercing eyes of his, he knew it was over. Alan Collins knew he was being followed.

He watched Alan pull out of the restaurant, but he did not pull out after him this time. He simply made a phone call. He already did all he needed to do to accomplish his task. He simply got out of his vehicle and went inside the restaurant. He had watched them enjoy their food.

He was in the mood for a little Italian himself.

***

It had been hours since they left the restaurant. Gina watched every move Alan made. He seemed different since they left the restaurant, anxious. He wasn't as carefree and relaxed as he had been on the trip down. She wondered what had changed, but she didn't ask him. On some level inside her gut, she realized she didn't want to know.

Alan kept all of his attention focused on the road and his rearview mirror. He was sure the black SUV would have followed them out of the restaurant. Maybe he was being paranoid, but he could have sworn he saw it at the gas station when they stopped to fill up, sitting in a secluded parking space on the side. He was going to make sure if the vehicle was following them it didn't get close enough to hurt Gina.

"Okay," Gina said finally, "what's up?"

Alan glanced over at her for a second, then his eyes went back to the road. "I'm not sure what you mean," he said innocently.

"You know exactly what I mean, Alan. You've been acting funny ever since we left the little Italian place. Is there something I should know?"

He sighed. He didn't want to tell her, but she deserved to know. She had no idea how dangerous it was in the world around her. "I think we were being followed."

Gina glanced over her shoulder. "What?"

"There was a black SUV," he explained. "I saw it at the gas station where I stopped to fill up, and then it was there in the parking lot at the restaurant."

"There are a lot of black SUVs, Alan."

"Not like this one, Gina. The windows were heavily tinted, which means they don't want to take the chance of being seen."

She gulped fearfully. He didn't say the words, but she realized what he was implying. One of Jack's goons or Jack himself had already found her. "Are they following us now?" She ducked down to look in the mirror on the passenger's side.

Alan looked too. "No. I haven't seen it since we left."

"Maybe we lost it."

He smiled. "I hope so, love."

"Is 'love' an affectionate name like 'sweetheart'?" Gina asked curiously. He seemed to call her that a lot.

"Yes, it is."

"Okay. I always wondered."

He chuckled at her. "You know it's getting late."

"Which means you will be dropping me off soon."

"Yes. You can still change your mind, Gina. I wouldn't be angry if you did."

She shook her head. "No. I have to do this. But I will come and visit you."

"Promise?"

She smiled. "I promise." Even as she said it, she knew it wasn't likely she would ever visit him again, but she had to make him think it was a possibility. It was the only way she wouldn't hurt him.