Thirteen

The streets were cold and dark... but that wasn't a strange thing... right?
The arcade had just closed and Genji had newly departed with his friends. Home wasn't far, actually, it was just a few yards away, but tonight... he for some strange reason felt uneasy. He wasn't sure if it was just him or God who was warning him of something.. but if he didn't return home in time, then his father wouldn't be happy. Lately... his father hadn't been so happy... he wasn't sure if it was the clan or if it was just him who wasn't living up to his expectations...
Genji knew he was different, he knew people would fear him if he told them his true name, but for some strange reason, he didn't want to be a part of the family clan.
He wanted to be free, to be able to make his own decisions, to chose the path he wanted... but being a Shimada didn't allow you to have these choices...
Yes he was born with money and power... and pretty much everything a rich man could need, what other people are struggling to reach... but unlike most... he wished he didn't have it all... he wished he could be normal.. to be free to choose...
As quiet as possible, he climbed up the lamppost to reach the edge to the tall Shimada walls. He managed to climb over without making a sound and landed just as quiet onto the ground on the other side. Easy ~
The Shimada castle was one of the most secure places in Japan, perhaps even the most secure place in Asia for what he knew, but he knew the perfect place to sneak in. He himself had made sure no one knew about it.
The window to his room hallway open, just the way he had left it. A quiet way to sneak into his home without getting noticed.
As quiet as possible, he carefully enters his room through the window and carefully shuts it. A grin crosses his face as he had made it through the security again.
He loved doing this.. the world outside the walls were so much better than the boring life on the inside.
" so... how's the outside world like.. brother" the voice came out of nowhere and Genji quickly turns around towards wherever the voice came from. His hear was beating fast as he didn't really know what to say. A light turns on and his older brother Hanzo stands next to his bed, all dressed up and his eyes glued on him.
A nervous smile crosses Genji's lips and he playfully shrugs
" what can I say? The world outside the walls is beautiful"
Hanzo's eyes narrows and he crosses his arms. " we know everything Genji. We know you sneak out every night, playing around with your friends and waste your time on stupid games at the arcade."
Genji couldn't help but feel a bit scared. If they knew... then why haven't they stopped him earlier..?
" come on Hanzo... I want friends, I want to have fun! I want to live my life the way I want!" It felt good to speak out your mind, he never really got the chance to, and when he did, it usually wasn't well received by the elders or his father.
" the clan is more important than your fun! Come on Genji! You're just a kid! We're kids! But we're both important kids who's supposed to take over the clan when the time comes!" Hanzo snapped at his younger brother who just had to be the biggest fool in the universe.
" the elders are mad... really mad Genji... they want you to stop playing around and join the family business... they call you a mistake.. a danger..."
The moon was shining down on Genji and he looked his brother in his eyes. He knew the clan was expecting a lot of him.., of both of them.. but he honestly didn't want to be a part of this... he wanted to be free... to be allowed the chance to make his own decisions.
" I'm heading to bed now" Genji spoke as he ignored Hanzo's last comment.
" the sun is coming up soon. Make sure you're ready for training." Hanzo coldly replies as he quietly leaves the room. Genji watches him leave and locks the door when he's out. They both knew Genji wasn't going to meet up for training... they both knew his father would be disappointed and the elders angry.
Without a word, Genji quietly sits down onto his bed and rests his head in his hands. He was scared... he wasn't exactly sure why... but he didn't want to live the life he was living now... he was just 15...  just a kid... and still the elders expected him to act like a grown man... to act like Hanzo... the perfect brother..
Maybe that's the reason to why he was as rebellious as he was... he grew up in his brothers shadow. His father had always been proud of Hanzo and not him.. the elders always spoke well of him.. but Genji was always the second in like.. the kid who didn't listen, the kid who wasn't as good as his brother, the rebellious kid...
When his mother was still alive... their home was a lot more different than the way it was now...
A framed picture of her rested onto his desk next to his bed... he usually kept it hidden under his pillow in case his father or Hanzo would enter his room...but he had stopped hiding it since they usually never entered.
He could still remember her beautiful and heartwarming smile... she was a loving mother.. both to him and Hanzo. She had loved them equally much.. and that was fair... unlike now...
She had truly loved him... and when she was still alive, she kept their family together... their father had been a different man back then.. he had been a father and not a mafia crime boss... he would bring them to the arcade and do different activities together...
He had been five when she died... Hanzo had been eight, but that didn't matter... because that day... everything changed...