Chapter 61

TOM CORNELISSE AS COLE EDWARDS!!! (aka everyone's literal favourite person and honestly same.)

HI MY LOVES!! 

I hope you love this chapter - I must admit in writing terms it's not got much going for it it is literally just Trent speaking for the entire chapter so I apologise if you were expecting some incredbly descriptive scenes but yeah - there's none of that.

ANYWAY, I HOPE YOU ENJOY.

.

.

.

CHAPTER 61

My breath is held as I sit beside Trent and wait for him to speak, our heartbeats the only sound in the lowly lit room.

When he finally does speak, the words that come out his mouth aren't the ones that I'd anticipated and when I realise what's happening the world seems to feel like it's stopped spinning.

"Growing up with a brother who was meant to be the next Alpha was always pretty difficult, especially when it came to impressing my father - or anyone in the pack for that matter. Michael was a force to be reckoned with and me," he shakes his head, "Well I was nothing. I wasn't going to be an Alpha, a Beta or anything remotely close to where my brother was heading and that... well, I just wanted to be noticed."

His hands clasp together in front of him as he leans forward, eyes locked on the moon outside his window but his gaze is full of memories. 

And pain.

So much pain.

"Lou used to hang around with Cole and I when we were young. His older brother, George, was Michaels best friend and Beta and so we were all like brothers," he laughs humourlessly, "Scarlette used to complain that we'd leave her out all the time because she was a girl, but the truth was that Lou had a crush on her and was too embarrassed to say anything about it." 

Internally, I make a reminder to bring this topic up at a later date with the redhead but for now, I stay silent, unwilling to interrupt Trent's story. It always seemed so difficult for him to talk about and I was still grappling with the fact that he was actually telling me.

"The three of us snuck out one night when we were fifteen. We wanted to go and see if we could see the pack on their night runs - it was something that we all loved to do. We'd sit and talk about what we thought our wolves were going to look like and how amazing it was going to be when we finally could shift. 

But there were rules, ones that were there to protect us and we didn't listen... I didn't listen."

My throat seems to swell at the crack in his voice and my fingers shake with the low vibrations of his anguish.

"Michael had told me about this rogue that they had caught the scent of earlier that day but they hadn't managed to track him, they'd lost it in the woods and were going to send people out to look when it was light - when they were human and when it was safer. But, when we were out there and we watched the pack flying past us, just patrolling our borders but not going after anyone, I felt so useless, so unimportant. I tried to convince Lou and Cole that we could go and find the rogue instead, that we could creep around in the dark and by morning we would be awarded with the acknowledgement of our families. We'd have proven ourselves."

His voice is low as he runs a hand absentmindedly across his chin, his fingers hovering over the only scar that mars his perfect features. It's so small that I barely ever notice it but I had always wondered how he'd gotten it, I suppose in the grand scheme of things it seemed almost unimportant.