6

"Is there a reason you aren't at quidditch with your friends?"

Max hummed at Remus' question, sitting on one of his desks as the professor organized his bookshelves.

"Quidditch really is not for everyone, Lupin."

Remus let out a laugh at that, shaking his head as he turned to face his godson.

Max had absolutely no interest in quidditch. Not even the slightest bit, he didn't even like the sport.

He found it quite dreadful in all honesty. Sure, he thought it was great if so many loved it, but he was not one of those people by any means.

"I also wanted to apologize for the things I said to you a few days ago. I was acting like a child, it won't happen again."

"You do not need to apologize for your emotions, my boy."

Max nodded, moving to help Remus put the books in their rightful places.

"Can you tell me a story about my father and Sirius Black?"

Remus pursed his lips, pushing a book onto the shelf as he did so.

"Only if you could answer a question for me."

"Of course."

"Why do you believe Sirius Black is innocent?"

"You do as well, Lupin."

"That's not an answer, Maxwell."

Max gave a tired laugh, putting away the last of the books.

"I don't have an answer. I've never met him before in my life, never spoken to him. The only photos I've ever seen of him have been his wanted posters and the photos that mother scratched his face out of."

"Cassandra took him out of the photos?" Remus asked, his voice filled with an emotion that Max couldn't place.

"I just have a feeling, Lupin, and I think you do too."

"You've yet to answer the question, Max."

"I found a note."

Remus paused at that, looking at Max with confusion on his face as he tilted his head, silently urging him to continue.

"I don't know how I didn't notice it before, but it was a folded up note between the pages of my father's old journal. It was a note from Sirius that said to meet him in the common room that night because there was something important they needed to talk about."

Max fidgeted where he stood, his tired eyes meeting Lupin's.

"That was the same day he wrote his first journal entry about my mother, and the last day he ever wrote about Sirius."

"That hardly seems reason enough to find him innocent."

"It's enough for me."

Remus went to reply, but held his tongue as the door to the classroom flew open.