10

Max had finally got some kind of grip on his emotions as they walked back toward the Whomping Willow

His eyes were watery and his heart was still pounding, but now he felt as though he could think clearly.

"Sorry about the bite." Sirius' voice echoed through the passageway, helping Ron walk on his bitten ankle. "I reckon that twinges a bit."

"A bit?" Ron scoffed. "A bit? You almost tore my leg off."

"I was going for the rat. Normally, I have a very sweet disposition as a dog. In fact, more than once, James suggested that I make the change permanent. Though, Magnus would never allow that."

Max smiled to himself at the thought of his father, knowing Harry was doing the same.

"The tail I could live with, but the fleas. They're murder."

Max couldn't help but sigh in relief as the moonlight lit up the exit, crawling out of the hole as quick as he could.

He was beginning to feel trapped beneath the ground, and finally he could breathe again.

Max walked ahead of everyone else, taking calming breaths as he once again felt tears beneath his eyes.

"Do you ever stop crying?" He muttered angrily to himself.

"You look just like your father." Sirius came to a stop beside Max, a smile on his face.

"He wrote about you, you know?" Max sniffled, wiping angrily at the hot tears. "Talked about you like you were the best person on Earth in his journals."

"Yes," Sirius hummed warmly. "I'm sure we all feel that way about the people we've been in love with."

"So it's true?" Max whispered. "He was in love with you?"

"And I him," Sirius nodded. "I was devastated when he fell in love with your mother. Even more devastated when I found out she was slipping him Amortentia."

Max felt his heart drop, his hands beginning to shake once again as he felt the hot tears falling down his face and onto his lips.

"I was the only one who knew I think. I tried to warn Magnus, and he said he wanted nothing more to do with me," the pureblood sighed. "My biggest regret is that I did not stay by your father's side when he needed it most. Maxwell, if you ever have the chance to stand by someone you love when they are alone, promise me you will."

Sirius turned to Max, a small frown on his face.

"I promise," he uttered through his tears.

Sirius pulled the boy into a tight hug, Max hugging him back like his life depended on it.

"Before you speak to Harry I have a question."

Sirius nodded at the boy's words.

"My mother was not a good person was she?"