6

Max couldn't ignore his classmates any longer

The shoulder checking in the hallway, the yells of nasty words and lies thrown his way. Even now, students wore pins to express their hatred for both Harry and Max.

That wasn't even the worst of it, Ron hadn't spoken to Max since his name was pulled from the Goblet.

Hermione had found him in the common room, his eyes bloodshot as tears came from his eyes. He had always turned to Ron for support since their first year, and now he was nowhere to be found.

"You're going to choke, Princey."

A gasp escaped the boy, being shoved back into the wall and his head slamming against the stone.

"Are you all right?" Harry asked, placing a hand on his friend's shoulder.

"All good, you?"

"Yeah. Did you hear about the dragons?"

"Dragons?"

"Sh," Harry looked around tentatively. "The first task is dragons."

"You're both cheats."

The boys stumbled away from each other as a Slytherin student stormed between them.

"Come on."

Harry took Max's hand, pulling him toward the exit of the hall. A group of Hufflepuffs stopped them, grinning down at the two fourth years.

"Like the badge?"

"Excuse me," the Potter mumbled.

"To hell with excuse me," Max seethed. He stepped forward, shoving the Hufflepuff away roughly with a sharp glare on his face. "Stay out of our way."

Harry followed Max through the courtyard, keeping his head down as they went.

"I need to speak with Cedric." Max nodded, leading Harry over to the Hufflepuff and his friends.

"Oh, Harry and Princey."

"Read the badge lads."

"Cedric, it's the cheats."

Max bit his cheek at Cedric's friends taunting, looking to Harry for what to do next.

"Can we have a word?" Harry asked Cedric.

"Come on, Ced." Max pleaded his friend, hoping Cedric wouldn't be influenced by his friend's behavior.

"All right," Cedric followed the two boys away from the small crowd.

"You both stink!"

"Harry Potter smells!"

"Princey is a weasel just like his mother!"

At that Max turned, wand in hand as he clenched his jaw. Harry reacted quicker, grabbing onto Max's wrist.

"Not worth it," he mumbled. Max gave a short nod, both boys turning back to Cedric. "Dragons. That's the first task. They've got one for each of us."