11

Max woke up in one of the infirmary beds, looking to his left to see Ron beside him

Sitting up carefully, he saw Hermione sitting at Harry's bedside across from him.

"Listen, Harry," Hermione started. "They've captures Sirius. Any moment now they're going to preform the kiss."

"They're going to kill him?" Harry gaped.

"He's innocent," Max added.

"No, it's worse. Much worse. They're going to suck out his soul."

"The hell they are," Max shouted as he stood from the bed.

The three all froze as the doors to the infirmary opened, Dumbledore walking through them.

"Headmaster, you have to stop them. They've got the wrong man."

"It's true, sir."

Harry and Max both shared glares, having spoken in sync, before going back to the matter at hand.

"Sirius is innocent."

"It's Scabbers who did it."

Everyone turned to see Ron sitting up in bed.

"Scabbers?" Dumbledore questioned.

"His rat, sir," Max deadpanned. "He was Peter Pettigrew, an animagus."

"We know the truth," Hermione told him. "Please, believe us."

"I do, Miss Granger, but the word of four thirteen year old wizards will convince few others." Dumbledore made his way over to Ron. "A child's voice, however honest and true is meaningless."

The Headmaster gave Ron a pat on the ankle, the boy crying out in pain.

"Is meaningless to those who have forgotten how to listen."

Max rolled his eyes softly at the man's words, really not having the time for the inspirational speeches.

"Mysterious thing, time. Powerful, and when meddled with, dangerous. Sirius Black is in the topmost cell of the Dark Tower." Dumbledore turned to Hermione with a grave look. "You know the laws, Miss Granger. You must not be seen."

Harry and Max shared each other's confusion, Max turning to see Ron with a matching expression.

"And you would do well, I feel, to return before this last chime. If not, the consequences are too ghastly to discuss."

Max glanced at the clock, fearing they were out of time.

"If you succeed tonight, more than one innocent life may be spared. Three turns should do, I think."

With that Dumbledore turned back to the door, Max turning to his cousin with a question look.

"Oh, by the way. When in doubt, I find retracing my steps to be a wise place to begin. Good luck," with that the man shut the door.