9

"This is mad

"This is mad." Ron whispered, Hermione and Harry on either side of them with Max sitting across. "At this rate we'll be the only ones in our year without dates."

Snape grabbed the back on Ron's head, shoving him to focus on the work they had been assigned.

"Well, us and Neville," Ron and Harry shared a laugh.

"Yeah, but then again, he can take himself."

"Hold on, why are we on top of Neville? We like Neville, don't we?" Max asked, clearly confused.

"And it might interest you to know that Neville's already got someone," Hermione smiled.

Ron let out a long sigh, tapping his fingers against the table.

"Now I'm really depressed."

Max and Hermione looked at each other from across the table, already having told the other about their dates.

"Oi, Hermione. You're a girl," Ron turned to her.

"Very well spotted."

"Come with one of us?"

Snape came behind Ron and hit him in the back of the head with a book, doing the same to Harry.

"Come on, it's one thing for a bloke like Max to show up alone, but for a girl it's just sad."

"Neither one of us will be going alone, because, believe it or not, we've both already been asked." Hermione glared, taking her work and Max's and handing them to Snape, and storming back and pulling Max out of his seat. "And we both said yes."

Max took Hermione's hand, letting the girl pull him away.

"'Mione." Max pulled the girl to a stop, hugging her tightly. He noticed how upset Ron had made her, trying his best to calm her down.

"I'm fine, all right," she reassured her cousin. "Just don't tell them who I'm going with."

"Don't worry, it's safe with me."

Harry and Max had both been sitting in the common room when Ginny and the others helped a traumatized Ron through the door.

"It's all right, Ron," she reassured her brother. "It doesn't even matter."

"What happened to you?" Harry asked.

"He just asked Fleur Delacour out."

Max's loud laughter echoed through the common room, the boy holding onto his stomach as tears came to his eyes.

"Tell me you're joking, Gin?"

"What?" Hermione rushed toward Ron, Harry and Max at her side.

"What did she say?"

"No, of course."

"Did she punch him in the face?" Max only laughed harder when Harry and Hermione scolded him.