Chapter 2: Breakfast Table

Dawn had broken and the sun peaked from between the pine trees that surrounded his property. Isaiah got out of his bed with a stiff ache in his body because he didn't get a wink of sleep last night. He didn't bother wondering why when he knew that his past haunted him whenever he closed his eyes. Except, in the midst of chaos, his thoughts wandered back to the woman he met yesterday. He tried to forget her and push all those thoughts away, yet it never worked.

Isaiah decided he'd take a run around the property while his pack would still be fast asleep.

He exited the manor through the back door and took off without shifting into his wolf form because his wolf couldn't be trusted. It was a long time ago when Isaiah had turned into his wolf, it was the night he had massacred his father's entire pack. After that night, Isaiah promised that he'd only turn into his wolf form in dire situations. But never again, because the wolf inside him was always out for blood. That was how they all were trained by their father. Since they were pups, they were tortured into submission to become killers. Ivan Petrov wanted his sons to be weapons of destruction, and that night when Isaiah killed all of them, he had shown his father what type of weapon he had become.

After a long, exasperating run, Isaiah returned to the house. He was sure that his brothers and the rest of them had woken up too. Isaiah quickly freshened up and put on a pair of jeans and a shirt because he knew he was going to stay home. Well, that's if nobody caused trouble for him.

Isaiah then joined the others in the kitchen where Zeiden was rummaging through the fridge for something to eat. Lazarus was on his phone eating a green apple; the sound of the crisp bites made Isaiah hungry for one too. Two more men strode into the kitchen; it was their friend Ronin who had left the special forces as a detective and joined Isaiah's team, leading the security around here with Lazarus.

"Good morning, fellas," Ronin said happily. "What's for breakfast?"

"Nothing apparently," answered Zeiden. "No one went grocery shopping."

Ronin frowned at Lazarus. "It was your turn," he scolded.

Lazarus avoided Ronin's glare. "I'll do it today," he said.

Isaiah was glad he wasn't in his brother's spot. Ronin's glare could freeze anyone, and now, one the best fighters Isaiah had was hungry, which was a bad combination.

Without a word, Isaiah sauntered around Zeiden and reached for a mug, but then, his hand froze just before it when his cousin reached for the same one. Isaiah knew the rule in the house and that was to never touch Adrik Vasiliev.

Adrik detested physical contact above all else. No one in the pack dared to test that notion either. However, all the men here knew why he was like that. Adrik's father, Samuel was ruthless, even to the point where Isaiah's father found it a bit excessive, and that was saying something all in itself.

They didn't exchange any words. Isaiah just poured himself a coffee and let his cousin be.

Adrik quietly leaned against the wall and drank his coffee, which Isaiah could never guess if the man actually enjoyed it or not, since Adrik held only one stern expression and nothing else, no one blamed him though. None of them really cared to hide what they were thinking or feeling after the hell they'd been put through. It just wasn't in them to hold a smile for someone or anything.

"I heard you rescued someone yesterday," said Ronin.

Isaiah sat down and knew that Zeiden probably told him. "Her car had a flat tire," he told Ronin.

"Uh huh-" Ronin grinned over his cup- "there was nothing else?"

"No," Isaiah bit back, but there was a shard of hesitation in him because he couldn't forget about Ashley, even though their meeting lasted no longer than ten minutes.