Chapter 7: Out for Blood

Isaiah's clothes and hands were covered in Ashley's blood. He was never bothered by the sight of blood in his entire life. But right now; he despised the smell, the texture, the amount of it that stained his clothes. Suppressing those thoughts, Isaiah paced in front of the door they took Ashley when everyone from his pack arrived.

"What the hell happened?" shouted Lazarus.

"How's Ashley?" asked Zeiden.

"Both of you, calm the hell down," warned Ronin. "We're in a damn hospital."

Zeiden and Lazarus toned their voices down, but the panic was still clearly present.

"Dr. Stone took Ashley in for surgery," said Isaiah. "She's got shot twice. One in her shoulder and the other grazed her neck." Dr. Stone specialized for wolves and it was Gabriel Centauri who had introduced Isaiah to Dr. Stone when they met a few years back. Ever since then, for injuries or emergencies, they'd come to her.

"Tell me everything while it's fresh," demanded Lazarus.

"I wasn't facing the street, so I don't know," gritted out Isaiah, frustration creasing his face. "Ashley saw and moved in front of me."

"What the fuck does that mean?" asked Zeiden.

"Those bullets were for me not my mate!" he bellowed. They all froze when they faced their alpha's festering rage that was menacing with darkness. "A black van drove up in the middle of the street. Find the damn car and get me those men now," he barked the order and Lazarus went himself to complete his alpha's task with Adrik.

Isaiah closed his eyes that stung terribly. However, the gruesome scene from the street flashed in front of his eyes. He had just turned his back for a second and all hell broke loose. The street filled with blaring gunshot sounds. He had no time to stop it when he saw Ashley had pushed him out of the way and took the bullets in his place.

"How could this happen?" asked Zeiden as he slumped down next to his brother.

"I swear, if she doesn't get through this, I don't know what I'll do," muttered Isaiah.

"Ashley's tougher than she looks," reassured Ronin. "She'll get through this. She has to."

Hours later, a tall woman strode out with a white coat, her black hair was tied back in a braid revealed her sharp angular face and piercing blue eyes. "Isaiah," she called out.

Isaiah shot to his feet. "How is she?" he asked eagerly.

"Ashley lost a lot of blood. Thankfully, the bullet that hit her shoulder was a through-and-through. So, the procedure was simple. But the one that hit her neck grazed an artery, that's why she lost a lot of blood," said Dr. Stone.

"But she's fine, right?" asked Zeiden.

Dr. Stone nodded encouragingly. "We've moved her to the VIP ward," she said. "I'll keep an eye on her condition, but she should wake up as soon as the anesthesia wears off."

"Thank you, Dr. Stone," said Ronin because Isaiah's mood had darkened more than before.

"No problem. You guys can wait in the room with her," Dr. Stone patted Isaiah's shoulder in support, before she marched away from them.

Ronin and Zeiden walked into the spacious room finding Ashley connected to an IV drip and respirator. Isaiah's foot froze outside the hospital room. He didn't dare enter the room feeling the way he did. The evil that festered inside of him was toxic enough to poison someone. Nothing good was going to come out if he was beside Ashley when he craved vengeance.

"Aren't you coming?" Zeiden asked his brother.

"I can't-" Isaiah clenched his teeth- "this was all my goddamn fault. She's in there because of me." Isaiah couldn't face Ashley feeling this much hatred and anger. The only thing that would sate Isaiah's bloodthirst was if he were to put a bullet in the people who did this to his mate. Suddenly, Isaiah's phone went off. Isaiah answered his beta's call, but he was so full of rage that his voice couldn't come out.