Chapter 12: Heart to Heart

Isaiah sat in the back of the car with Ashley resting on his lap. Lazarus drove home as fast as he could get them. The sound of her breathing had calmed to an even pace letting him know that she was more relaxed than before. Isaiah's mood was still seething with anger while his wolf was content at the back of his mind. Isaiah was aspirated that his wolf wasn't angry enough for wanting to hunt Vito.

"I'm getting blood on your clothes," she said faintly.

"It doesn't matter," he said.

"Am I too heavy?" she asked then.

Isaiah wrapped his arms tightly around her. The weight she deliberately didn't put on him, he gathered her fully on top of himself. "No," he said. "Never for me."

For the rest of the ride, Ashley laid her head on his shoulder, she didn't speak or fidget with anything. He found it pretty unusual that she wasn't feeling the strain of what happened. She was calmer than him, but he knew that something wasn't right. Isaiah could feel it in his bones that she was locking it all down to deal with later or alone. However, the last thing he was going to let her do was go through this alone.

They arrived at the house and he took her inside. Zeiden had gotten a towel and wrapped it around her battered body. Ronin quickly got the first-aid and met them in the living room. Ashley stood to take off the towel and they all rushed to help her, but she shrugged them off telling them that she was fine. Isaiah had given her ice for the bruise and ibuprofen to help with the pain as Ronin stitched her up again. They were all well-trained with wounds like these, since they'd always get in dangerous fights. Ashley quietly sat on the couch, her mouth held in a tight grimace as her eyes looked at everything, except what Ronin was doing.

"That was some badass plan, Ashley," alleged Ronin.

"We couldn't believe it when you first called us," added Zeiden. "Plus, you had the guts to reveal your location."

Ashley chuckled. "That was pretty badass," she admitted.

"I can't believe you calmed Isaiah's wolf down," admired Lazarus. "That wolf is one tough son of a bitch."

Isaiah scowled. "Thanks, Lazarus," he remarked, "I'll make sure to set him loose on you next time."

"Bring it on," dared Lazarus, "you know my wolf isn't to be trifled with either."

"We all know you'd both lose against Adrik," joined Zeiden.

Lazarus scoffed. "Please," he crossed his arms, "I can take both of them on, at the same time and still win."

Adrik came over to Lazarus. "We all know that's not true," he said calmly, which unnerved the beta. "I can beat you and everyone here knows it."

Isaiah looked at the two guys. "Are we seriously discussing this?" he reprimanded.

Zeiden came over and smacked Isaiah's shoulder with a hearty laugh. "We all know that you guys are getting slow," he continued to smack Isaiah and laugh, "old age must be getting to all of you or something."

"That boy's done it now," mumbled Ronin from the side-line. Ashley managed a short laugh from Zeiden's tease or truth, they didn't know with this man.

Isaiah, Lazarus were bad enough but Adrik stood with them too. Their matching scowls dared Zeiden to repeat what he had just said to them. But of course, he hadn't.

They all tried their hardest to get Ashley's mind off today's incident. But deep down they all felt guilty to the point it made them feel sick to the stomach. It was their fault they couldn't protect her, and now, her smile had fallen weak.