Chapter 3: Sunny but Cold

Ashley drove down to the Bacardi residence after visiting Isaiah and his family.

As she navigated the winding road, she still had a silly smile plastered on her face. Isaiah Iron... Gosh, that man wrapped her up in knots- the kind that she never felt before. He was a bit slow on the uptake but she knew that he'd figure it out soon. She was sure that she wasn't the only one who felt the connection between their wolves, when all through breakfast her wolf kept a close eye on Isaiah.

The breakfast she brought was to thank them for helping her last night. But the moment, she walked past the door and found Isaiah watching her with those steel grey eyes, she gave up trying to keep it formal. She couldn't help herself from flirting with him, he was too gullible in her eyes.

Although, it was hidden, she definitely noted a streak of danger in him like a flash of lightning amidst storming clouds. He was a mystery to her that she was more than happy to unravel, but Ashley knew that it wasn't going to be easy. So, she'd ask her friends for help. Czar and Veronica were close friends and people that Ashley relied on since her parent passed away. They didn't have a child of their own, so they always treated Ashley like she was a part of their family.

Driving up the sloped hill towards the gate, she rolled her window down and was greeted by the security team that recognized her immediately. The White Wolf pack lived on a great estate that was guarded by Alpha Czar's enforcers. For outsiders, this property was an intimidating fortress that was heavily protected and under surveillance at all times. However, Ashley never saw this as a problem since it was for the well-being of everyone that lived here. Czar Bacardi was a ruthless alpha who protected his pack and that's why he was respected all over the world.

Ashley passed the first checkpoint and drove inside the gates once they opened. She drove up the long path towards the Victorian mansion at the top of the hill, it was perched like a crown on a head. Since her father was a business partner with Czar, they'd visit quite often, and each time, Ashley was in awe of this house. Parking on the side, she got out of the car and viewed the mesmerizing sight of the beautiful home, which had tons of windows and the mansion itself was the softest beige colour, that contrasted against all the vivid green hedges surrounding the property.

However, Ashley knew the truth behind this great mansion. For a long time, Czar had been living alone here and this place was just a vacant space with no light. Until, he met his mate, Veronica Bacardi.

Ashley climbed the stairs all the way up to the front door and rang the doorbell. Without a moment's notice, the door opened revealing a tall, stern butler, Mr. Riggs. He viewed her with his silvery gaze through his round spectacles and his white-gloved hand gestured for her to enter the house.

"Greeting, Ms. Hartling," Mr. Riggs said.

"How many times have I told you to call me Ashley, Mr. Riggs?" she remarked with a chuckle.

Mr. Riggs was quite strict about his role as the butler in this household. Despite, everyone in the house telling him to take it easy. He never listened and continued being a domineering helper with infinite rules to follow.

"Lady Veronica will be down shortly," Mr. Riggs said. "Would you care for any refreshments?"

"No, I'm fine. Thank you," she answered.

"Ashley!" Veronica's voice boomed from the top of the grand staircase. The lady of the house came running down the stairs. Mr. Riggs was alarmed and asked for her to slow down immediately, which she never heard.

Veronica was enchantingly beautiful with long brunette hair and silvery-blue eyes that were a prominent feature on her face. She had rosy cheeks and a comfortable smile that always reassured Ashley whenever she was having a hard time.