Chapter 11: Iron Beast

Isaiah was driving through traffic as all of their voices spilled through the Bluetooth piece in his car. "How far are you from the hotel, Zeiden?" he asked.

"A few minutes," he replied.

"I got all my stuff packed and a truck will bring it by the house later," said Ashley who was also on call with them. "I just need to check-out from the hotel."

"I'll be waiting on the north-side street," Zeiden told her.

Isaiah reached home so he disconnected the phone and entered the house. Lazarus, Ronin and Adrik were gathered around the living room waiting for the rest of the family members to arrive as well.

"How'd the meeting go with Gabriel?" asked Lazarus.

"You went to go see Gabriel?" astonished Ronin and Zeiden- who was still on the phone.

"Who's Gabriel?" asked Ashley over the phone.

"Gabriel Centauri," answered Ronin.

"The alpha of the Centauri pack?" asked Ashley. "I'm friends with his sister, Viola."

"Those are the ones," said Zeiden.

"How'd that go?" Ashley asked Isaiah after.

Isaiah took a seat after pouring himself a drink. "What everyone says about him falls short," he said.

"Uh oh," said Zeiden. "Isaiah is crushing over Gabriel. Better be careful, Ashley."

Ashley's laughter spilled through the speaker. "Boys, why don't we buy a Christmas tree this year?"

"A tree?" inquired Isaiah.

"I think it's time to decorate that house of yours," she said with a smile that they all felt through the phone. "We can decorate the tree while Lazarus cooks us a big dinner?"

"Sounds good," said Ronin. "We can even put lights around the house."

"There's a great store nearby," Ashley began to walk through the streets, "I can get some shopping done with Zeiden before coming home."

"Zeiden, where are you?" asked Isaiah. He didn't like Ashley walking through the streets alone without protection.

"I'm just about to pull up-" Zeiden's voice fell and a dense silence crept through the speaker. "Son of a bitch!"

"Zeiden, what the fuck is going on?" Isaiah snapped.

"Isaiah!" A scream ripped through the speaker and it was Ashley. "No! Let me go!" All the men silenced over the phone when they heard Ashley's pleading cries and then the slam of a sliding door.

"You want her back?" a man they all recognized spoke.

"Vito," menaced Isaiah.

"Get that brother of yours off my tail," said Vito smugly, "or else I put a bullet in the girl like I did last time."

"I have eyes on the van, Isaiah," grumbled Zeiden.

"Don't follow him. He'll shoot Ashley," gritted out Isaiah. He slammed his fist on the table. "Fucking shit!"

"That's exactly how I felt when you got rid of the Calvary," Vito said resentfully. "I'm just getting what you cost me and as long as you follow my orders, you'll get your pretty girl back safe and sound. But play any games against me, I'll make sure her face isn't this pretty anymore."

Isaiah stared into the dead hearth of the fireplace. The same emptiness that this hearth had was inside of him. His whole body turned bitter-cold reaching a point that his wolf was at the brink of release. Isaiah bit the insides of his cheeks, drawing blood around his teeth to control himself.