Chapter 4: Calm Storms

Ashley returned to her penthouse after her visit with Veronica Bacardi, and without doubt, her mood always improved after chatting away together. Taking off her shoes, she walked down the hallway, however her heart didn't allow her to take a seat on the couch. She wasn't in the mood to be at home, especially since it was sunny outside.

Convinced to go shopping, she changed into comfortable attire. Replacing her dress, she slipped on a white sweater and paired it with her favourite pearly silk skirt. As she roamed out of her closet, she grabbed a clip off her dresser and twisted her hair into a chignon that sat low on her head. Finally, she slipped on a wool coat and grabbed her purse off the table. Leaving the penthouse, she strolled all the way out to the middle of Central Park.

Ashley roamed to all the stores along Fifth Avenue and got quite a lot of shopping done, it wasn't her intention to walk out of each store with a new wardrobe piece. Not that she regretted it, she found spectacular gems. She even got gifts for Isaiah and his pack.

Even though she had caught them by surprise and intruded their home, they all welcomed her, which wasn't what she expected from such giant, intimidating men who looked terribly threatening. On top of that, they were easy to talk to. She had to admit, it was fun.

Although, she didn't know when she was going to get the chance to meet them again. She'd probably have to make up some excuse so she could give them their gifts. Wondering what to do, Ashley stopped in front of a café for a treat. She ordered herself a coffee and got a warm slice of fruit cake; Ashley added a sprinkle of cinnamon making her cappuccino perfect.

She sat in front of the large window and looked out to the busy view, cars were bustling through traffic and cyclists rushed around the cars that were stuck. Ashley contemplated calling for a car to pick her up, since she had so much to carry. But in this traffic, being in a car would be a horrendous punishment.

When Ashley's feet had rested enough, she gathered her bags and sauntered out of the café. Ashley snuggled into her coat when the brittle breeze startled everyone, she turned to the alley to avoid the rush of people that came off the local bus, but it was also, so she wouldn't have to walk against the cold wind. Ashley cut through the alley hastily because this wasn't a route many people would take, but Ashley didn't think too much of it since it was broad daylight outside. With speedy feet, she reached the other end, it was then she found her way to another crowded street. Ashley quickly turned and went down the way that would provide her a shortcut to the Plaza hotel.

In seconds dark clouds festered above her and covered the blue sky. The sun sneakily hid behind the thick clouds blocking out Ashley's only light source. Ashley kept her head down and continued down her path even though she extremely regretted it. Ashley knew that it would take her at least ten more minutes just to reach the main street again. Just like she hadn't wanted, an ominous chill slithered down her back, and it wasn't because of the cold. Ashley's heeled feet took wider steps to get away from whoever was behind her. She didn't even dare to check who it was that gave her such a scare.

Ashley was close enough to reach the end of the dark alley. She heard the busy street right in front of her and the rush of cars, so she couldn't help but sigh in relief. But just as she left the alley behind her, something cold and bony skimmed the coat near her butt. Dropping her bags, she turned away frantically but then slammed into an extremely hard surface.

"Ashley," a familiar voice called out for her.

Ashley's eyes snapped open- not realizing when she had closed them. She looked up to find Isaiah holding onto her to keep her steady on her feet. "Isaiah," his name slipped out of her mouth like she was thanking her goddess.

"What's wrong?" asked Isaiah with rigid grey eyes.

Ashley straightened and turned back to confront the alley where someone had followed her, but she didn't see anyone. They probably ran off after seeing Isaiah. Irritation grew in her, because whoever followed her left the moment they saw someone as intimidating as Isaiah.