Chapter 5: Roses have Thorns

"Would you please sit down," Lazarus abhorred as he watched his big brother pacing back and forth in front of him.

Isaiah's mood was sizzling like a pot over high fire on a stove. He was ready to turn this house upside down and run to Zeiden who had taken Ronin and Adrik to eliminate the Calvary dealership.

Lazarus instructed that Isaiah stayed back since he was a prominent figure that many recognized. If the paparazzi or the dealers got a whiff that he was at the Calvary's dealership then the rumours would be very difficult to handle. Isaiah hated the idea of staying back when he wanted to go and destroy this place himself. Except, Lazarus was a lot more stubborn than Isaiah.

Two hours passed since his pack members had left for the mission, yet there was no phone call or a message, which was understandable since that could jeopardize the mission and themselves too.

"Why aren't they back yet?" Isaiah asked through clenched teeth.

Lazarus glanced at his brother from his phone for the hundredth time. "The boys are meticulous," he reasoned. "You know how they are, they probably wanted to be thorough while purging the dealership."

Isaiah crossed his arms tensely and his pacing finally stopped, but almost instantly, his foot started to tap irritably. "Zeiden could at least send a text," he carped.

Lazarus looked at his brother with a defeated expression. "How is the man supposed to text you if he's in the middle of a mission?" he said sarcastically.

"It's not hard," Isaiah retorted. "Those damn pups, let them come home."

"Take it easy, Isaiah," warned Lazarus. "They know what they're doing, isn't that why you sent them."

Isaiah shook his head. "Zeiden is still reckless," he said. "He's too young for these missions. Maybe, we should-"

Lazarus raised a brow. "Father sent us on missions before we even learned to walk," he interrupted his brother with nothing but the hard truth.

"That was different," grumbled Isaiah. "Zeiden hasn't had the type of training we've had. He's in over his head."

"How do you know?" Lazarus asked.

"He has that walk that tells me from a mile away that he's cocky and reckless," Isaiah argued.

Lazarus couldn't help but smile. "The boy just needs to refine his skills," he said. "But if we don't send him to do these missions then he won't learn."

Isaiah shot Lazarus a glare. "Why do you find it necessary to fight me on this?" he admonished.

Lazarus held his hands up. "I'm just saying to keep your cool."

"I can't keep my cool when those brats can't even send me a message just to let me know that their heads are still attached to their bodies," he grated out each word with a bitter taste in his mouth.

"I understand, brother," said Lazarus, "but you don't want to handle this situation like our father would have."

Isaiah went quiet and the silence in the room festered like an insidious demon ready to choke the air out of him. He turned away from his brother and faced the fireplace, the flames resembled the raging anger inside him that still lingered and ruined him today.

"I would never do what that man did to us," Isaiah vowed firmly like he always had.

Lazarus sighed resignedly. "I know," he believed, "but we need to be able to handle our wolves with level-heads." A loud ping broke the tension in the room. "There, you see. He sent me a text that they're back."