Chapter 6

I regained consciousness and saw that I was confined in a make shift hospital in the camp we liberated, I saw bandage on my shoulder, and I felt some pain in that area. I also didn't realize that I had a bullet wound on my left leg. 

After the Allies liberated Manila in March 1945, I was transferred to a bigger hospital in Manila together with other injured men, and civilians, they need to re-perform the surgery because the doctor said he doesn't think it was stitched good.

I saw the sun getting in a window so a nurse opened up the drapes and let the morning sunshine in to brighten up our mood. The nurse who opened the drapes looked familiar. I can't see her clearly because of the sunlight but when she approached my direction, she looked familiar. I can't believe it,  I saw Julia again. The beautiful lady who posed to be my wife in my previous mission. Am I hallucinating? Is it because of the painkillers? I don't really know. 

She checked my pulse and handed me a cup of water.

"Good Morning Agent Carter." She said. She flashed me a smile, her red lips were the first color I recognized.

I wasn't wearing my uniform now. I was dressed down to a hospital gown I lifted the covers then I realized that the maps were missing. Camila looked at me as if she knew what I was looking for.

"The papers? The other nurse got it and sent it to the military office. Did you forget? She got it when the soldiers took you to the make shift infirmary. " She said. Oh yes, I forgot. They made me change my clothes there too. I looked at Julia's direction. 

I haven't said a single word. Have I gone mute? Or is it just because of her. 

"I'm Camila Rodriguez. What's your name?" She asked.

Come on Pancho! Say something! It took me ten seconds before I was able to say something.

"I am Francisco. But everyone calls me Pancho." I replied.

"Oh, I forgot. My name here in the army is Samuel Carter... Samuel Carter." I replied. Oh damn it. I blew up my cover and revealed my identity.  

"I changed it because I want to hide from my father. He doesn't approve any of this. He said that my brother Andres is enough military for our family." I added. I sound a little tongue tied. 

She laughed on how I sounded. I sounded like a kid trying to talk for the first time. 

"Good memory, Pancho... or Samuel." She said.

"Wait a minute...Weren't you Julia, who posed to be my wife last month?" I said.

"Yes I am. Like you, I changed my name too. I'm glad you recalled. I thought you forgot. I can still remember how your eyes looked at me while we were dancing, and even when we're in the car going home. I saw you glancing at me." She said, as she smiled and laughed when she remembered what happened. 

"You were obedient and didn't break any protocol. Other men I've worked with tried to hit on me as soon as the mission's over even if I don't like them. But you were different." She added, and jokingly shared about her experiences.

"Well I guess I'm just like that. Sorry if I bore you." I replied. Then looked at her with my puppy eyes. She's going crack for sure.

"No, No, I don't mean it that way. I was actually surprised on how you acted. What a fine gentleman you are, Pancho." She replied apologetically. I knew it would work.

"So were you really..." I asked. Asking her if she was a spy too.

"Yes I was. But that was my last mission. They placed me here in the hospital ever since. My face is getting more familiar to the crowds. I heard they put on a woman named Carmen. She said that she knows you." She replied. Wow, Carmen. Good for her.