Chapter 27

Camila and I boarded a train when she realized we're going to Amalfi. She can't contain her excitement and gave me a kiss when she knew it.

We arrived in Amalfi after a scenic train ride from Rome and checked in to our hotel with the most beautiful view of the Mediterranean. It's more beautiful than Provence. Our hotel is carved in a mountain cliff.

As always we went to the beach to soak in the sun and swim for hours. I ordered a glass of Mojito and read a book wearing my sunglasses while Camila shopped in the gift shop. She always made it a point to buy souvenirs on places we go to. The Amalfi view painting that I will give her is now all set. I rolled it out and placed it on top of our bed.

After getting some panini in the lobby restaurant we decided to call it a day. The day after tomorrow we'll be flying on our last city, Paris. I know that Camila would love it since Paris is a center of the arts and fashion.

The second Camila opened the door and saw the painting, she screamed of joy and surprise. I knew she would love it.

"Oh my God! Pancho! How did you know?" She said running towards the painting to see it herself.

"You can't stop talking about it. So I got it for you." I replied.

"I will never forget this trip!" I added. She ran towards me and hugged me.

"I love you, Pancho." She said.

"I love you too. Anything for you my love. Anything for you." I replied.

The light stayed dimmed the whole night. I woke the next day with her next to me as she woke up tucked by my chest, I can smell her sweet and unique scent that seemed to be a love potion that cast me under a spell. I moved her hair away from her face and looked at her eyes. Then I realized that I will never be tired of this. The sun came in to our room and I heard the waves of the sea.

Compared to the beaches of Cote d'Azur, Amalfi had much less people. That's why this is a favorite among Hollywood celebrities. Camila believed that she saw HRH Princess Grace of Monaco lounging in one of the lounge chairs near her. She told me that she had to contain her excitement to not get thrown out by her bodyguards who might be hiding somewhere.

We arrived at Paris the next day. It's our first time here and the city of Paris looked much better now, we stayed in a hotel in the city and just right next to a metro station.

On our first day we went to the Louvre. The collections of paintings were still not complete because the Germans looted the museum when they occupied the city ten years ago. Camila looked like a kid in a candy store upon seeing everything that she saw. I can't help it but take a picture of her reaction. I don't know what's more beautiful, Mona Lisa's smile, or hers. The painting was just placed on its location after restoring it and hiding it in a secret and safe place during the war.

We walked by the Champs Elysees and she looked like a local with her black beret, white blouse and tan Capri pants, paired with her favorite brown espadrilles, while I wore the newsboy hat I always wear whenever we travel that I removed as soon as I saw the Parisian men were not sporting it anymore maybe I should leave that hat in the last decade. It was a good thing that I wore a white fitted shirt and a pair of jeans, clothes became more and more laid back since the start of the 1950s.

We later dropped by a vintage store, we parted ways for a while as she browsed the dresses and shoes while I browsed the vintage glassware and décor perfect for our home. Then a beautiful round Emerald pendant surrounded by small diamond cuts in white gold chain caught my eye. I remember how Camila loves the color green. The necklace comes with a stud emerald earring as well. This will complement her growing gold jewelry collection. The timing's perfect as we'll be celebrating Camila's birthday while we're on our way home.

I grabbed francs that I have in my wallet and bought the necklace. The Frenchman who owns the store smiled at me as I approach.

"Bonjour Monsieur." He greeted me.

"That Emerald jewelry was sold to me in 1917 by a Russian émigré. She sewed it on her dress while escaping the Bolsheviks. She said that she can use the money for starting a new life here in Paris. Diamonds and precious stones overflowed Paris during that time and the demand was not much high. I can't sell it at a lower price. It was later bought by Jewish banker in 1930. Then in 1938, a black haired woman who I presumed his wife sold me back the necklace and earrings saying that they can use the money to start a life in New York. The necklace and earrings saved them before the Nazis started killing the Jews the year after they leave. I hid those behind a brick of my room before I closed it down because the Nazis were looting everything." He shared to me. He spoke in a very fluent English. I flashed him a smile and showed how much more interested I am more because of the necklace's story.

"Now it saved me again from being bankrupt. Business is still low even the war ended five years ago. Did you serve?" He asked me after he saw my ring.

"Yes I did monsieur. I was in the Philippines in the Pacific." I replied. The Frenchman is now searching for a proper box that would fit and complement the necklace. I saw Camila approaching me so I stalled her for a while.

"My love, why don't you get us some seats on the crepe shop just across the street." I told her.

"Wait. Isn't that a bookshop? They may have English art books that might interest you." I added, and planted a kiss on her forehead. She smiled and knew that something's up. She just goes with it.

"A beautiful wife you have, monsieur." The Frenchman said.

"Thank you, monsieur." I replied.

"Monsieur, I will clean it and it will look like it was just from Cartier or Van Cleef." He said as he started getting his cleaning tools and polish.

Then I grabbed a tie tack that looked old as well. It's made of gold and onyx.

"You can get that for with discount, monsieur. That tie tack, a tortoiseshell clip, and onyx cufflinks just right beside it once belonged to an English Lord who served the war. He sold it to me even my shop was closed just for him to make money to take his Jewish wife away from here. I ended up buying it at a high price because I can help him save his wife. You have a good eye for the good things monsieur." He said.

"Okay, I will take them as well." I replied. I think I shed too much from these purchases. Despite that, I can pass these on to my sons like this watch that I have.

"Merci beaucoup Monsieur! I hope you enjoy your vacation here in Paris." He said as he wrapped my things up.