Chapter 7

The first week of May 1945, summer in Manila makes the hot weather quite unbearable at times. That afternoon before sunset I picked up Camila ten minutes before our supposed date. Manila was deeply ruined. The Japs burnt all of Manila when they were losing the Battle of Manila around February to March 1945. They killed civilians, raped a lot of women, and destroyed several houses and buildings. But somehow, miraculously Camila's house and some neighboring house along Dewey Boulevard weren't that damaged. The only damage it got was on its third floor and its roof.

An elderly lady answered the door when I knocked and was offered to wait in the living room. I waited and observed the place. The house looked like it used to be a big household and not made to be leased for people.

I heard footsteps walking down the stairs. It's Camila. She was wearing a white dress that was just like her nurse uniform without her cap. I stood up as she entered the room. I just hoped that there's a single flower shop open today. But we're still at war and flowers aren't really a priority for people right now. She walked towards me to greet me hello as I hear other girls giggling not so far away. Maybe I should have introduced them to the boys next time.

I removed my hat as soon as she's near me.

"Hello Francisco." She said as she gave me a cheek kiss or beso in our culture.

"You look beautiful tonight Camila." I said.

"I have some snacks here. Máma Linda helped me prepare some sandwiches and crackers I also brought some Coca Cola. I hope you'll like it." Camila said, showing me a basket of food that she's holding. I took the basket and I think I will be bringing this around.

"Wow, this is great! Thanks." I replied. We don't have much food options, all we have are being rationed by the Americans. So it's all the same, bread, crackers, cheese, some tin of meat and fish. I miss the fresh food that we used to have before the war.

"Let's go? The movie will start soon." I added. Offering my arm as I escort her to our date. The sun started to set over Manila Bay as it was seen from Camila's place. The air was warm as usual but the breeze from the beach kept us cool.

"Now take care you two. Just be here right after the movie ends. I will lock the door at 9pm Camila." The old lady remarked. She seems nice, but a little strict and traditional.

"Yes, máma Linda. I will be here at 9pm." Camila responded.

"Don't worry ma'am we'll be here as you said." I added. She just glared at me and smiled a little bit. Still having doubts about me probably.

As we walked, we noticed how badly damaged Manila is. There was the hotel where I have been to when I was young for a cousin's wedding that was shattered to the ground. All that was left of it was the ornate mosaic tiles that shows an image of Filipino countryside living. Then there was the new public school district which suffered the same fate. 

When we arrived on the field, the troops have set up a film projector. They said that we'll be watching The Wizard of Oz movie. Well watching a movie in the field isn't the best thing right now. But I think that everyone deserves this after our service for the team and to somehow take our minds away from the cruel reality.

I spread the blanket that she brought along with her. Then sat beside the tree just minutes before the movie starts. The field was filled with men, women, and some civilians.

There wasn't any popcorn or any snacks being sold in the field like in the usual cinemas before. It's a good thing that Camila brought snacks. I opened the bottle of coke and offered it to her. The Coke was a perfect drink for this warm summer night.