Chapter 32

In 1962, my Charlito is getting bigger and bigger every day same with his younger sister Bela. Our families can't get enough of our children and visited them almost every week.

While sorting out my mail, I received a letter from Mateo,

"Queridisimos Señor Pancho y Señora Camila,

I am now in fourth year of college and I got an internship in a law firm here in Madrid. I currently stand second in my class but I aim to be the first. Spain is getting better now, I think we all got used to it, if you know what I mean. Remember the novels that you gave me? I read almost all of them now. While I am using the law books that you left.

I am so delighted to hear the news that you gained a new member of your family. If it's not too much of a hassle, can I get a picture of him por favor? My siblings are now better too. They study in a school nearby and my brother is interested to study in a university too when he grows up. I told him that when I get a job then he can study anything he wants.

I attached a picture of my family to let you know that we are doing well.

Cariño a todos.

Tú Hermanito,

Mateo.

Mateo was still the same thoughtful boy that Camila and I met years ago. He attached a picture of him and his siblings. Mateo looked like a dashing young man now, but he still had the same dark blonde hair and hazel brown eyes that got our hearts when he was fourteen.

Camila and I replied to him.

"Querido Mateo,

We are so glad to hear from you. We want to congratulate you on your internship and being second in your class, good job! It's very nice of you to work so hard for your dreams to be a lawyer. But do not be too hard on yourself. What I learned from working and meeting a lot of people is that no matter if you are the top of your class or not, there will always be someone smarter than you, and someone who'll do things better than you. Enjoy your youth, go out with your amigos, fall in love with a girl, and enjoy life.

Camila and I just had a new baby, her name is Isabela. Maybe in a few years, we will have a vacation in Spain when the kids are bigger. I attached a picture of the four of us in this letter. I hope you continue to do good Mateo. I will ask Manuel my tailor in Madrid to make you a suit for your internship. Again, Congratulations. Saludes!

Abrazos!

Tú Hermano y Hermana

Pancho y Camila.

I attached a picture of our family with a note at the back that says "Hola tio Mateo. Abrazo y besos, Charlie y Isabela." Mateo will be very happy to see our kids.

We met with our old friend from the war, Carmen. She's now a movie actress again and director. She wrote the story of the movie she invited us to produce. Camila and I were happy to be a part of it even though pápa thinks it's a silly idea.

It was about a rich boy and poor girl's love and how love always conquers all. It will be staring her studio's newest twenty-year old actors named Fred Lopez, a Filipino Spanish mestizo and Natalia von Ruden, her father's German and her mother is an American-Filipina. Natalia made her name simple. So she used Natalia de la Rosa. Movie studios look for people like them. I don't know why they won't cast someone of pure Filipino decent. Several actors looked like the country's version of some actor in the States.

"Movies with these stories always get the Filipino heart! The movie will star both beautiful actors so I am sure that our investment won't come to waste." Camila said to Carmen. I nodded along in agreement.

"Great! So I'll just get us a copy of the contract." Carmen said. The studio was filled with many aspiring actors and actresses. I was not surprised to see that all of them have one thing in common. They're all mixed race, like us. I heard that showbiz can sometimes be a little racist and favor those who have a Hispanic or Western features.

We signed and finished the deal that day and Carmen said that she will put our names on the movie credits as Samuel and Julia Carter. It's funny that we will still use those names after all these years.

We met Fred, and Natalia, the movie stars. Natalia was sweet. She gave both Camila and I a kiss on our cheeks while Fred just bobbed his head to our direction as if we're already friends. Natalia looked like a typical mixed race girl from our time, with her Germanic facial features, dark brown hair, and her piercing light brown eyes.

"So this is show business." I said. As we arrived in the cinema venue. There were fans all over the lobby of the cinema. Flashing lights everywhere and interviews among the new movie stars, Fred and Natalia. I saw Natalia looking at me, I flashed her a smile and she winked. It's a good thing that Camila wasn't looking. I think that my face turned red and gazed on another direction. Why do I feel this way? I felt that same seventeen-year old Pancho comes alive again. I never felt like this towards Camila in a long time. It's just like I want to get it over with like I did before.

We watched the movie and Camila and I were both laughing on the comedic scene where Fred's rich boy character fell to the muddy rice field. Camila was saying that she was an extra in one of the scenes. It was on a restaurant. She was the lady dining next to the couple. She was so excited when she saw herself on the big screen.

"Wow. You looked pretty in the big screen, my love." I said.

"You know what would be fun? Why don't we ask Carmen to put us both as an extra to the next movie she'll do. We won't have any lines. We'll just be there in the background. You can be that guy with his back facing the camera if you don't want Pápa to see you." She said. I laughed at her joke and agreed that it would be a nice idea.

After the movie was finished we congratulated Carmen and the rest of the team on the movie's success.

"Pancho! I knew that it was right for you to invest in this movie! Look! It's a massive hit!" Carmen said as she gave us a hug.

"I agree! I told you Pancho!" Camila said.

"Carmen, Pancho and I were talking a while ago and convinced him that we could both be an extra on your next movie! I said that he can be the guy with his back facing the camera, or the guy with his face covered with bandage!" Camila joked. We both laughed. Carmen laughed too and said that she'll make it a point to do it next time.

I glanced at the people around us and saw Natalia looking at me again.

"You guys should come over to the studio tomorrow. We'll be hosting a party for the movie's success." Carmen said.

"I'd love to come. But I won't be available tomorrow. I have an art client tomorrow in Cebu City, my client said she wanted me to help her buy art from an auction." Camila said.

"Pancho can go. Invite Enrique if you like." Camila added.

"Oh yes! Invite Enrique, Pancho! Both of you could be my next producers!" Carmen replied.

I called Enrique the next day and he immediately said yes upon hearing the word private party. He was more excited when he knew that there would be actresses around.

I was having doubts on going to the party as I knew that Natalia would be there. I don't know what I am capable of doing and I don't want it to happen. But for the sake of business, I would go there, besides Enrique is there, and so is some other guys from the war. Maybe I should just socialize with them and get away from temptation.