Chapter 25

We only spent half a day in Monte Carlo because you can finish touring it in just a day especially if you're not into gambling. My friend Enrique, who we'll be meeting in Italy was a very big gambler. We shopped for some clothes that we'll wear when we get to Rome tomorrow. We'll be meeting Enrique and his wife Rita there.

We grew up together and lived next door. He was always in our house as a kid and basically was a part of our family. He was the only son among his three more sisters that's why he always wanted to spend time with me and Andres while we're growing up. He's in Italy to venture on importation business. He only loves four things, cars, horses, money, and clothes. I think we both still love those things, except that I don't love money. He married a year after I did, Camila and I endured the long travel home just to attend his wedding as he did to go to ours.

We met him for lunch in the hotel. During the war he served the air force with Andres, until we lost contact for almost a year. Andres said that he saw him once in combat but they pretended they didn't know each other. Andres married Enrique's sister Victoria thus making him my brother by marriage. I haven't seen him since his wedding but I was able to recognize him in his always sharp suit. Did he grew a mustache? Oh he did. His mustache made me laugh as it was not grown as thick as it should be. It looked like thin grass that needed to be get rid of.

"Pancho! Mí Hermano!" He said! As he saw me on our table. He gave me and Camila a hug.

"It's been a while amigo. Como estás?" I asked him. He was the type of mestizo who speaks like our ancestors. He spoke English, Spanish, and Tagalog. I barely even speak Spanish because I think I sound old when I speak it. I sound like my abuelito.

"Bíen, bíen. Tú? He said he's fine and asking how am I.

"We're good. We're on a trip before we go home to Manila. So how's Manila? Is it better now?" I asked.

"No, Pancho. It's still the same. Our family moved out from Manila to Makati. My Pápa just bought a lot in Forbes. I think you guys should move there too. It's for us, the next generation. New Manila seems pre-war and Ermita is ruined. Makati is a breath of fresh air. Manila Polo Club is just near. We can start riding again when you guys are home."

"It's nice to hear that Enrique. Pápa actually mentioned to me that he's planning to not renovate our old home because the surrounding places in Manila are still in ruins. He actually suggested me to get one for us." I replied. Pápa doesn't show interest in staying in Manila. He now enjoys his life in Rizal. He bought a farm there next to Uncle Leopoldo's estate.

"Enrique, where is Rita? Are you with her?" Camila asked him.

"Camila, she's just around the city, shopping some clothes and carpets for our house. She was excited when she knew you'll meet us." Enrique said as he called a waiter to order lunch.

Enrique ordered fish canape, potatoes with steak, slices of chocolate cake and a bottle of red wine. Really? Wine for lunch? Wow, Enrique must have a problem.

Minutes later, Rita arrived. She came from shopping and was still wearing a dress with green leaves print. She was smiling from ear to ear when she saw us. Rita was the only surviving member of her family. Before the war, her family knew that it would be deadly since her father was in the military, and her mother is a daughter of a Senator. So she was sent to the monastery far from Manila. Her brothers enlisted in the army but didn't make it. Her mother, aunt, sisters, and her cousins were all gunned down while they're trying to escape Manila during the war.

Rita gave both of us a kiss in the cheek and requested to exchange seats with me so we could catch up with our best friends. I realized that during lunch Camila and I never talked. We were so excited to see our friends again.

"Look at those girls, they probably can't stop thinking and talking about babies. I don't think I'm ready for that Pancho. I think Rita might be pregnant. Pancho, you know that I am not the responsible type. It should be you, and Camila should be expecting now." Enrique shared to me. He was talking fast while freaking out and I can't understand what he's saying. I can't help but laugh when I heard what he said. Little does he know that we have the same thoughts.

"Well believe it or not, we have the same thoughts. I don't know if it is the best time to raise a child." I said, while cutting the steak. Wow it looks good. It cut off easily. After lunch, the girls excused theirselves to check out Rita's new purchases. 

Then I talked to him about what happened in Madrid, and what happened to Cristian and how I almost ended my marriage almost two years ago. He was sympathetic and listened to my story and realized that the possibility of Rita carrying his child is nothing to be scared about. 

 We later talked about his new car importation business. He said that more and more people want to buy Alfa Romeo, among the other brands after seeing him drive one along Dewey Boulevard. He even modified one for USD25,000. This boy really has money to spend thanks to his grandmother who spoils him rotten. Even though we grew up like them I am not really fond of having too expensive things. Camila bought me a Cartier watch for our wedding and I think that's enough. As long as my Filipino shoes are working, my suits fit, and I have clothes perfect for each season then I'm good.

Enrique invited Camila and I go to sightseeing around Rome with them and watch the city as the sky turned orange. 

I attached pictures below on how Enrique and Rita looks like. 

Enrique Soriano

Rita Soriano