Chapter 39

In mid 1975, Mateo surprised us by paying a visit to our home. He grew up to be a lawyer and later on applied to work in the diplomatic mission of Spain in Manila.

"Mateo!?" I said as I opened the door.

"Yes I am. Señor Pancho." He replied. We both laughed and greeted each other by the door and asked him to get inside.

"What a surprise! What are you doing here in Manila, Mateo?" I asked.

"I'm a diplomat now, Pancho." He replied. Mateo, now in his 40s looked different from the last time I saw personally in the 1950s. He now has streaks of gray hair in his dark blond hair that started to recede as well.

"That's very good to hear. How do you find it here?" I asked. As we both sit down in the living room.

"Would you like something to drink?" I asked him.

"Yes please. I would love some glass of water." He replied. I called for our maid and asked her to prepare some snacks for our visitor.

We talked about the political tension in Manila and told him that we were like in 1939 Madrid minus the civil war. Charlie and Bela passed by us and I introduced them.

"Charlie, Bela. This is your tio Mateo. He is a good friend of ours when we were in Madrid." I said. Charlie, being the gentleman and charmer that he was shook Mateo's hand as if he was a diplomat. My son was sporting the long shaggy hair that was a thing in the '70s. He won't cut his hair despite how many times I asked him to. His hair was a little curly just like The Beatles', and too thick, and dry that it looked like a bird's nest.

"What beautiful children you have here Pancho. Your son has your eyes." He said.

"Thank you Mateo. How about you? Any little ones with you here in Manila? I have another son, but he's not around. He's still in school. He'll arrive just a little later, if you think I look like Charlie, then you should look at Alfonso." I replied. Then we both laughed.

"I have four beautiful girls, they're all in Madrid with my wife. They're getting bigger now." He said.

"That's wonderful. But it must be sad not to see them growing up. You know Mateo, one day our children are kids, then before you know it, they're like this! But even so they still look like the young ones in my eyes." I replied.

Camila came home from another art commission that she has and greeted Mateo hello.

We had some snacks and drinks as we talked about Mateo's job and how he became a diplomat. Charlie was listening attentively as the same topics interests him. We talked about a lot of things and invited him for dinner that night too.

Mateo left after dinner and we were both so happy to see him succeed in his career.

In the office, there has been new conflicts that we face. The real estate industry wasn't growing as much as it did before. That is if it isn't manipulated. I'm sensing that they're doing what they did to Enrique last year. I need to talk to Andres.

"Andres, have you seen the new trend report? Will there be really a temporary slack in the real estate business? What about the prospective properties in the eastern Manila area?" I asked.

"Pancho, I am sensing that something is not right. Our investors are now pulling out their shares. I'm sensing that we will suffer the same fate as Enrique if we won't cooperate and give what the government wants. But I won't let that happen." He said as he poured whiskey on his glass.

"I was sensing the same thing too. It is the same pattern. What do you think we should do?" I asked. Then sat on the seat in front of me. Both of us don't know what to do if the president wants to back other businessmen that will favor him. Should we close it down temporarily and live abroad?

It's a good thing we were made heirs of Uncle Poldo's estate in Rizal, Hugo and his siblings reunited with their father after the war and left for the States when they got the chance. They lost everything they had here. If everything comes to fall down, we can use the money to start a new life abroad.

The next day, I set an appointment to meet Mateo. We met and had lunch in a hotel not far away from the embassy. He said that he has something to tell me.

"Pancho, I don't know how to say this to you but I think you need to get out of the country as soon as you can." He said.

"That's what I had in mind too. The kids can't stay here any longer. Amanda's eyeing my son and nephew for her daughters." I replied. Then Mateo told me about Amanda's party crashing abroad and her extravagant lifestyles that made the Europeans call her Marie Antoinette.

"I am planning to send my three kids to Spain and have them study there for the meantime. I still have my contacts with me when I worked there." I added. As I bit my favorite roasted chicken.

"That would be a good thing to do Pancho. There have been rumors roaming around that the president will shut down businesses and make it their property." Mateo said. I took a deep breath and realized that my worst fear was now coming to life.

I saw a weird man peeking behind the newspaper that he was reading. He was looking towards our direction. I may be in my mid-fifties now but my eyesight is still as good as it can be.

I wrote on my notepad and showed my note notifying Mateo that someone may be listening to our conversation and smiled as if we're doing business.

"You must send the kids to Spain after the school year ends and tell the press when they interview you that you want them to experience your life before so they won't hint that you're planning something." He suggested.

"I guess I'll see you when I see you Pancho." He replied, then shook my hand. We left immediately. The man behind the newspaper left the restaurant as well. I'm right, he's following us.

When I arrived home I talked to Camila about what Mateo told me and my theory on Marco's death. She was shocked to hear what she just heard and sat by the edge of the couch as we speak. She was in disbelief on hearing my plan.

"When do the kids leave?" She asked.

"In a month. You go on with them to Spain. Mateo and I found ways." I replied.

"How about you. Pancho you're not getting any younger. You can't do this on your own." She said holding my hand.

"I have to. Andres and I will close down the company for the meantime before things get worse." I replied. Then I held her hand to reassure her that nothing bad will happen to us. Victoria will take their two kids to California to stay with her brother Enrique while Camila and my three kids will go to Spain then to the States if possible.

Charlie was hesitant to leave Manila because he said that he doesn't want to stop studying. Bela agreed and Alfonso seemed to not to understand what is happening and said that he can't wait to be in Madrid.

The next day my little boy Charlie was not a little boy as I thought he was. It was around ten in the morning and he hasn't gone down for breakfast. He told me that he went to a party that one of his classmates threw. I don't know what time he arrived this morning. I even lent him my car, maybe he drunk a lot again.

I knocked on his door, nobody answered. But I can hear movements inside. As I opened the door I saw my boy on his bed, while a girl was fixing her clothes in front of a mirror. Well what do I expect. He was just like me when I was his age.

"Carlos!" I said in a loud voice. I felt blood rushing to my face and so did he. The moment was too quick and I had to shut the door immediately. I thought on how will I handle this. Should I handle it like pápa? Or should I handle it maturely since he's in twenties now.

"I will give you, and your lady friend fifteen minutes to explain yourself downstairs." I said. My Eduardo Francisco Carlos is now a man! It was just yesterday that I taught him how to shave when he was fifteen. Now he's all grown up. Now I thought of how pápa would feel if he knew how young I was when I first did it in Madrid. He will probably faint. Camila heard me and asked me what's going on. We were both talking with a low voice and I told her that I could handle this. Charlie would be more embarrassed if she will be there.