Chapter 13

I went to visit Andres in the hospital, he was better now. I hope he really is. He was not on his bed when I arrived, a nurse mentioned that he was on the field now playing ball with some guys he was confined with. The hospital was encouraging more physical activity to prepare them to be with the world again. He gained weight but not that much to make him look like the old Andres that I knew.

He waved at me when I was approaching him. He seemed much better than the last time I saw him.

"Come on Pancho! Join us! We haven't played ball in ages!" He screamed. He looks happier now. I was surprised to see Enrique with him, he survived.

"Enrique! You're here! You're alive!" I said as he approached me and gave me a hug.

"Sí amigo. Estoy en Baguio." He replied. With Enrique around I don't think that Spanish language will die soon. He said that he was in Baguio working with the air force there.

"What are you doing here? Are you in this hospital too?" I asked him.

"No. I am not. I was just visiting Andres when I heard about what happened to him." He replied.

I joined them and the rest of the guys in the hospital for a game of basketball, it was a close game, we won just by two points! If the doctor's advice would be followed, Andres can be home in two weeks, it was a good thing that he responded well to therapy and his medication.

I went to the war office right after visiting him. The military was computing how much damage Manila and the Philippines had since the war started. They were using the data that we gathered over the past weeks They might come with millions of pesos but for me it is priceless. No money can ever buy back what we lost, from lost heritage and lost people. 

There were lists of people who had served the war, a lot of them died and will be commemorated in the Filipino American war memorial in Manila and Bataan. They were lucky because they were recognized and recovered, but as for those who weren't. Some were laid in random places and unmarked graves.

After almost a month, Andres settled well in our new home which is Uncle Poldo's estate in Rizal. He rode horses again but still wasn't able to race or play polo with me. Hugo joined us riding horses all over the ranch. Andres was happy to reunite with his horse named Alvaro. He got him as a gift from pápa as a pony just before we left for Spain. Alvaro was technically his horse but most of the time Uncle Poldo uses him all over the ranch.

The next week, I invited Camila to have lunch with us. We first went to church then have a slightly festive lunch. We had grilled chicken with a side of rice and some vegetables. I haven't had this in years! The war has made eating meat a luxury and made it less accessible for everybody. Pápa looked very good as if he hasn't experienced any war. I don't know how he really feels after knowing that all of the housing districts that he developed in Manila is now gone in a blink of an eye. Some of his friends and their families were murdered too. I don't know if Hugo told him what happened to his family.

He said that we will be staying there until our house will be rebuilt. I guess it would be a long time. The restoration of Manila will begin next year when funds are ready. Then he lost his smile when he remembered Patricia. Máma and Rosa will be here when the roads are safe again for travel after a few months. Máma said that Rosa and her takes care of five orphaned children aged ten and below. Maybe she's pouring her love, energy, and dedication to children after losing Patricia.

The weather in Rizal was much cooler than Manila. The rain started to fall as we had our lunch and the rain showers were normal as we entered the rainy season. Andres and I shared a new room here again. Maybe this is the start of living as we did before the war.