Chapter 29

We ended our Euro trip with big smiles on our faces and memories we will never forget. We boarded the plane to Athens then connecting again to Karachi then  Kolkata then Bangkok to Manila. It will take almost four days approximately.

In Athens, we've had an unexpected turn of events. The plane got a problem with its engine and they said it will take them a day to fix it. It's eight in the morning so we took it as a chance to explore the city. We were given a small hotel room but we won't stay there anyway.

We went out of Athens and explored everything while I drove a Vespa. We were both thrilled to see everything that the city could offer. But what really made my day was to see the view of Parthenon. We were excited to see it and immediately asked a fellow tourist to take our photo together. It's a good thing that Camila wore her peach colored silk headscarf and wore a white blouse and a pair of Capri pants, since the sun was getting too hot. Camila looked like Audrey Hepburn on break while I sported a Cary Grant look with my white linen Oxford shirt and a pair of shorts.

After having lunch in a nearby gyros place we drove a little more to the suburbs as recommended by the tourist pamphlet in the hotel. It took us just thirty minutes to reach a hill which I forgot what it's called and reached a place with friendly locals.

A random Greek elderly couple who passed by us invited us to their home. They were apparently hosting a wedding of their granddaughter. We saw their culture which was kind of similar to ours except when they started smashing plates on the floor before taking a shot of vodka.

As Filipinos we were shocked to see it, all our lives we saw our mothers how they took care of our porcelain plates only to see the Greeks smashing them on the floor before taking a shot of liquor.

The elderly couple handed us a plate and told us to smash it. Then we met the newlyweds Basil and Helen. We were both hesitant at first to smash the plates, and shared to them that in our home country people value plates so much, but they said its bad luck not to do it, so we did it.

The couple looked younger than us. It was a good thing that both of them understood English. They might be wondering who we were and why were there strangers on their wedding. Before we left, the elderly couple gave us a couple of hand painted Greek plates painted by Helen's grandmother. We felt lucky because we received gifts instead of giving some.

Just a few minutes after driving towards the hotel, the Vespa started to stutter. It doesn't have enough gas! Camila and I were laughing because we didn't realize that we may not have enough gas to make it back to the hotel.

So we tried to hitchhike. Nobody was stopping because we looked like stranded tourists who doesn't speak Greek and they may be avoiding us. But we saw a truck with full blast Greek music on and it stopped. It was Basil's family heading back to the city. They offered us a ride to the nearest gas station in the city. The other men helped me lift up our rented Vespa. While we're on our trip, it rained. The first rain of the year. The Greeks were happy and enjoyed everything while Camila and I looked for something to cover us up.

We realized to just go with the flow and enjoy the Greek rain we have experienced. It was the first time we enjoyed the rain that much, it may be because of the music or how the Greeks were so appreciative towards the rain. They were all singing some Greek folk song and later chatted and laughed about the stories they were sharing. I wish we can understand what they were talking about.

We arrived in our hotel room shortly after I gassed up the Vespa. We can't stop laughing about the things that happened. It was all unexpected. Now I understand Camila's spontaneity. She has this when life gives you lemons, make a lemonade.

While preparing for bed, Camila looked pale and dizzy, probably because of the trip we had a while ago. Then she feels hot and vomited from smelling weird Greek snack that I was eating. Later on, she fainted on the floor. I carried her in my arms without changing out from my pajamas and immediately seek help from the front desk who directed us to a small clinic by the street.

The doctor checked her up, got some blood samples and after a few hours, Camila regained her consciousness. The doctor talked to us and told us that Camila was just tired, she fainted because of tiredness and the fact that she is a few weeks pregnant. We're expecting! I'm going to be a dad!

I held her hands tightly when I heard the news. It wasn't unexpected but still I am surprised. After signing some papers, we were dismissed back to our hotel room. Then we talked about her delicate condition. It's a good thing that we'll be home soon and she will give birth in our country.

We arrived in Manila after three more days of travel. Máma arranged to pick us up in the airport and drove us to our new home in Forbes. 

My three-year old niece, Olivia gave both of us a hug when we arrived home. Andres was busy in his office and stopped what he's doing to say hello. Andres just lives in the next house. We basically still live together only this time on two different adjacent houses. Camila and I spent the whole day lying in our beds resting and recovering from our long journey home.

I hugged her and held her belly. I am so excited to feel something move.

"So where do you think it happened. In Spain, in Cote d'Azur, Rome, Amalfi, or Paris?" I jokingly said to her then we both laughed.

"I don't know where it happened. The important thing is that we'll have a child soon. Are you excited Daddy Pancho?" She replied. 

Yes I am excited Camila. More than you know. I hope that this baby will hold on to her unlike Cristian whom I still miss to this day. 

One of the helpers placed his small urn by the altar so that we can still see him and know that there's one little angel in heaven  watching us and keeping us safe always.