9: jess goes quiet

Hey! Please vote, it's really easy! hope you enjoy this chapter :)

Recap

The man beside me finally took off his sunglasses and shot me a smile. Holy crap. What was going on? I knew exactly who he was.

Mark spoke up again, "Jessica Steele, meet Nick Jonas. You two will be getting to know each other this evening and for the next week or so."
______

Jess

"Why? What's happening?" I ask cluelessly. I look to Harry and his gaze was hard and trained on the table. Did he know something about this?

"It's called a public relations stunt. Your album is coming out in four days, and it's typical for this to occur..." Mark continued. I didn't want to hear the rest. The ringing in my ears got louder. I knew I had this kind of stuff coming, but I never put two and two together.

Now I knew why Jane had given me that sympathetic look.

"Nick has his new album and Jealous has been right behind your two singles, Style and Bang Bang. It only makes sense to boost your new album and Nick's as well."

I snuck a look at Nick, who seemed pretty calm and okay with all of this--a complete opposite of me. I wondered if he'd ever done something like this before.

"What would we have to do?" Nick spoke up. I realized that I'd never met him before. His voice was raspy and deep, but nothing like Harry's.

"You'd have to go out for dinner a few times, of course, and attend some award shows together. A few kisses and cuddles here and there, and everything should work out perfectly," Mark explained. Was I a fucking puppet? Ugh, I hated this so much.

"Excuse me," Harry popped in harshly, before getting out of his seat and striding off in the direction of the restrooms. Oh, God only knows how bad I wanted to throw in my towel and go after him. I knew it wouldn't be appropriate at this moment.

"I'll be right back. Jess, order for me, will you?" Jane said it her soft and soothing voice. She excused herself again and followed Harry's footsteps.

I suddenly felt really sick and claustrophobic in this big restaurant.

Before Mark or Nick or anyone could start talking, the manager of the restaurant came and introduced himself before asking for our orders and drinks. Jane and Harry hadn't come back so I gave Jane's order and guessed what Harry would eat since he chooses just about the same pasta every time.

"Do you have any questions, Jessica or Nick?" A woman with a suit and blonde ponytail asked from beside Mark.

"Do I have any say in this?" I ask dully, spinning the ice in my water with a straw.

"Not necessarily...I mean, it won't last very long, maybe two or three weeks. And you two aren't really dating. We're just going to let the public and media take it how they want it."

"What happens if I'm asked a question about Nick?"

Mark folds his hands on the table and leans forward, obviously not thinking that I'd be this difficult.

"Well, just say 'no comment', or whatever you want to say. You just can't shoot down the rumors," he explained in a way that sounded like he was talking to a five year old.

I felt a weight lift off my shoulders once I saw Jane walking back to our table, but my heart dropped once I saw that Harry wasn't with her.

"Where's Harry?" I whisper to her when she sits back down.

"Uh, he had to go. He said he wasn't feeling well."

"Bullshit," I mutter back. Not that what she was saying was, but the fact that Harry said he was sick. How could he leave me here like this?