Chapter 1: "Just Another Day in Paradise"

Sapphire's POV

It was a beautiful summer day at the beach. Fluffy white clouds littered the sky with the sun holding all the attention right in the middle.

A small family was taking advantage of it; a mom resting on a towel watching as her husband played with her son and her daughter.

The boy was young, 12. He was bright, full of happiness as he splashed water at his dad. With green-blue eyes, dark brown hair, and a light tan, this boy was sure to be a heart-breaker when he grew up.

The girl, on the other hand, was glowing in comparison. Laughing with pink-tinged cheeks as her dad threw her small body in the water again. Poking her head out of the water, anyone from miles away could see her dark blue eyes, contrasting her blonde hair. At only 10, she was already beautiful.

"Jesse! Sapphire!" The mom called from the shore. The children, along with their father, ran up to her as she set out their picnic lunch.

The kids continued to play as the sunset, ending their perfect day.

Oh where did it all go wrong?

I woke up, holding back tears. to my alarm clock ringing at 6:00 am. I would give anything to go back to my care-free childhood.

I threw off my blanket and walked into the bathroom to start my day. Following my shower and other bathroom-y things, I walked over to my closet, catching my reflection in the full-length mirror next to it.

Wrapped in a towel, I investigated the girl in the mirror. She is nothing special really. She has small, and quite thin legs from lack of proper training and diet. A flat stomach, no abs, just flat; if one looks, you can see her rips gently poking at her sides. Her chest is quite average at best. Her arms are thinner than toothpicks, they could be snapped in an instant.

What really stood out against her now pale skin, were the bruises peppering her skin. All within various shades of healing.

I sighed I reached my face. My dirty blonde hair fell straight down, stopping mid-back. My face was relatively clear of blemishes, werewolf perks I guess. My eyes, which use to be the reason I was named, were now lifeless and dull.

Why am I always picked on? I asked my wolf, Ruby.

Honestly, hun, I don't know. She said, like always.

At least you won't pick on me, right Ruby?

You know I won't, Saph, now go get dressed. She finished, blocking me out.

I returned to my own thoughts. Everything had changed shortly after that day. Jesse had shifted for the first time a few days later on his 13th birthday. Once he shifted, he became friends with the Alpha's son, Cameron. He then turned to be mean, he didn't want to be around his little sister anymore, she wasn't cool like him. Then, when the time came around for my first shift, Jesse had already been promised the position of Beta. My parents forgot about me; they were power-hungry. They went from regular pack members to the Beta's parents. As I was basically disowned, I became the pack's toy.

"Shit," I mumbled under my breath as I caught the time. 6:45 I needed to be out the door in 30 minutes!

Yanking myself from my thoughts, I quickly threw on a pair of black leggings and an oversized black sweatshirt. I slipped on a pair of beat-up white vans, grabbed my phone and bag, and left. I tip-toed down three flights of stairs, because the pack reject couldn't live on the same floors as everyone else now could she, careful not to wake anyone.

Creeping into the kitchen, happy no one was in there, I grabbed a paper lunch sack and threw in a sandwich from last night and a banana. I swiped a quick look at the clock on the microwave as I heard people begin moving: 7:10. I grabbed an apple and quickly slipped out of the house before anyone noticed me.

Then, because no one was willing to drive me, I began my 30-minute walk to school. I popped my headphones in and tuned out the world around me.

I arrived at the school gates at 7:45, per usual. First bell doesn't ring until 8:15, but I preferred to get here early to avoid people as much as possible. I sighed in relief as I noticed the mostly empty parking lot and head in. I sniffed the air as I walked in, noting that the only ones here are a few over-achieving humans.

I ducked my head anyways and made my way to my locker. I grabbed the books I needed for my morning classes and headed to my first class: English.

My least favorite class.

It is the only class I have with Jesse, Cameron, and his goons. It was also one of the few classes where our teacher was a pack member, meaning she couldn't help me. I took my seat in the front corner, furthest from the door. I pulled out my phone to check the time, 7:54, and began my favorite escape tactic: reading on Wattpad.

BRIIIIIIIING

Time for class, I thought to myself as I put away my phone and pulled out my materials for this class. I kept my head down as I heard students frantically filing in and picking seats, talking about what they did this weekend.

I slumped in my seat as I heard the oh-so-familiar voice of my brother as he entered the room, his arm wrapped around his beautiful brown-haired, brown-eyed mate Marie. He was closely followed by Cameron and Carson, the pack's third-in-command. They were followed by the usual onslaught of girls trying to get in Cameron's pants.

"Cam, what are we doing for your birthday this Friday?" Jesse inquired.

I peeked up as Cameron shrugged, "I don't know man, I'm just ready to finally meet her."

I internally cursed as I remembered that Cameron would turn 18, meaning that he could find his mate and officially take over the pack.

The teacher followed the group in and ushered everyone to their seats as she began today's lecture on Shakespeare.

The day continued as such until Lunch, the only time I couldn't avoid the gang.

I shrieked as my shoulder was bumped rather harshly, sending me into the locker next to mine.

I was pinned to the locker by two large arms on either side of my head.

"What's this?" Carson chuckled, picking up my brown bag lunch I had dropped. He pulled out the sandwich and banana. He looked me up and down before whispering, "I think I'll take this; I need it more than you." Then slammed his hand on the locker behind me causing it to rattle, scaring me again.

A hand fell on his shoulder pulling him away, Jesse's to be exact. "Dude," he said, "that's enough, she's shaking like a leaf."

Carson nodded and shot me a glare before pulling away from me, taking my lunch as promised. Jesse gave me a blank look, while Marie snickered before they all walked away. Cameron was likely in the lunchroom already with his flavor of the week.

I grabbed my books for my last classes and sprinted for the bathroom, intending to hide out there until I could go to class.

Well, I thought to myself again, just another day in paradise.

----------------A/N--------------

Hope you enjoy! I like this new first chapter better, it gives you an insight into Sapphire's past a little more for character development. I also took out or separated long blocks of text.

~Em

(1243 words)