Chapter 4 - "What if You Ask Her to Join?"

Sapphire's POV *Some Hours Later*

I continued running through the stream to keep my scent hidden until I hit the edge of a pack's territory. I left the stream and ran along the edge of the pack's territory. I think it was a smaller pack because I didn't run into any patrols. I hit another stream and stopped to rest.

I shifted back and rested by a tree, grabbing my sandwich from lunch and my phone. I turned it on, and my phone blew up. I had a ton of calls and texts from Jesse and a few texts from him. I deleted those.

I listened to a few voicemails from Jesse and debated turning around, he sounded really upset. I laughed and shook the thought from my head before deleting those too.

I opened "Maps" and dove into my memory to remember where the pack lines all were around me. I knew that I had hit a smaller pack, which was the only one between my old one and where I currently am in Oklahoma. I debated on where to go next before settling on Colorado, trying to get as far away from them as possible.

I put everything back in my bag, shifted, and continued my journey. I ran on until the sunset and I settled down under some bushes for the night.

I woke up with the sun to an angry, growling stomach. The realization slapped me that I had no food left, leaving hunting or starving as my only options. Spotting a rabbit, the choice was made for me. I was suddenly grateful that in wolf form I could eat raw meat. Painfully, I gave the rabbit a swift death before eating it. I cleaned up my paws and face in a nearby pond and headed north.

Around late afternoon it began raining; not too hard that it was hard to see but hard enough that it would cover my scent. By this point, I had been walking for a while, unsure where I was.

I heard a growl behind me. Was it rogues or a pack? I thought, lifting my snout to catch a scent. Catching a woodsy scent answered my question: a pack. Shit.

I turned to bolt in the other direction when a voice caused me to freeze, "Don't even thing about it, rogue," it growled, "Shift." The power leaked from his voice.

I bowed my head in submission and snuck behind a nearby tree to throw on some clothes, I couldn't exactly be naked. I threw my bag over my shoulder and kept my head down as I walked back out. I was rude for a rogue to make eye contact with any powerful pack members without permission.

Counting the number of feet and noting their size in front of me, I estimated that there were three males in front of me. By the power radiating from one, I assumed he was either a Beta or Third.

One of them whispered to the powerful one, "James, it's just a girl. Maybe we should bring her back to Chase."

I felt eyes look me up and down before the other mentioned, "She's so little."

The one with power, James I suspected, spoke again, "What is your name?"

I hesitated and black spots began to fill my vision. When was the last time I ate? I wondered to myself.

"Name." He growled again.

My world started spinning as I responded, "Sapphire Jacobs." My voice sounding weak and broken.

The darkness took over my vision as I heard one of the boys gasp.

Chase's POV

I was sitting at my desk working when one of my fighters, Stephen, mind-linked me. Alpha Chase, we found a rogue female during patrols and she just passed out.

Alright, bring her to the infirmary. I'll take it from there. I responded.

I continued doing my work, trying to find the large rogue pack that was taking out packs. Two small packs near Kansas had already been taken out and another larger one was attacked in Texas, however the pack managed to take out the leader. I sighed and ran my hands through my hair.