Chapter 13: Resolve

Baudwin looked up at the familiar silhouette of the city of Ossol. The capital nestled at the base of the mountains separating the Kingdom of Breoch from the Dreadlands to the north. Fortunately, the mountains were nearly impossible to traverse, except for a mountain pass in the neighbouring kingdom, Ler. No one wanted what lived in the Dreadlands to venture south again. The last time that had happened, the war had begun, and the former High King and his family had been slaughtered, along with many good men and women.

The royal castle could be seen above the rooftops of the city's buildings, built on the hills above with the mountains as its backdrop. Home. As much as he had hated having to dethrone his parents, and abhorred how they had treated the citizens, he was proud of his kingdom. It may not be as rich as the Kingdoms of Ler or Adreas, or as advanced as the Kingdom of Forturos. But it was his. He loved the deep pine forests and the many tarns hidden among the trees. Before he was the king he had enjoyed spending time in the woods, the smell of moss and pine needles relaxing him like nothing else. It was the smell of home.

He was riding his horse at the head of the procession, flanked by his knights. For most of the trip back from the Delens, he'd ridden in a royal carriage, but as they neared the city he'd decided to ride. There was something special about the sight of Ossol, and it wasn't the same from a carriage. He looked back at the line of soldiers following him, at the simple carriage he'd used to travel south to the Kingdom of Lyndor. The carriage where his future wife was hiding.

One had to appreciate her resolve. On the day of their departure, everyone had expected her to ride with him in the royal carriage. Instead, she'd marched straight to the old carriage he'd used when picking her up, got in, and that was that. They'd had to scramble to harness it to two horses before the whole procession could leave.

If he had thought she might have softened towards him now that they were getting married, that curtailed any such thoughts. He supposed he couldn't blame her. She had specifically said she wasn't ready to forgive him. Hopefully, he could appease her as time went on. He would show her that being married to him wasn't all bad.

As they reached the gates of the city, he smiled at the citizens who waved as they saw him. People like Lord Delen might be unhappy about his rule, but the workers and tradesmen, the backbone of the kingdom, they were happy. And that was all that mattered. They slowly made their way through the streets to finally reach the royal castle. Having been notified of his imminent arrival, his advisers and the prominent servants of the household were all waiting outside. Except for his sister and her husband. He frowned.

Dismounting, he was about to ask his steward about his missing sister, when he noticed them all staring at the royal carriage with unconstrained excitement. A grin spread over his face as he saw Rhiannon alight from the simple carriage a little further away. No one noticed, as they all had their eyes trained on the other one. He limped over to her where she stood rooted to the ground, staring up at the hulking entrance of his castle. While it was a beautiful castle with tall towers and intricate balconies, it was also a big, hulking beast at the bottom of a mountain.

"First time in Ossol?" he asked, leaning on his cane as he took in her appearance. The days travelling had done nothing to dull her beauty.

She side-eyed him, shaking her head slightly. "I've been once or twice as a child, but I never properly paid attention. It's different when it's suddenly about to become your residence."

"I suppose it is." He offered her his right arm and nodded towards the people waiting. "Would you like me to introduce them?"

For a moment, her shoulders tensed, then she nodded and rested her hand on his arm. By now, the welcoming line had caught on and were staring at them as they approached. Walking to the top of the line, Baudwin begun the introductions, starting with his advisers, followed by the steward and some other high ranking servants. Where was his sister and her husband?