Chapter Seventeen

When Hermes arrived at Camp Half-Blood he expected to be greeted with open arms and cheers from his sons and daughters. Instead, he was greeted with swords pointed to his face and an arrow almost hitting him where the sun don't shine.

"Ah!" He yelped as he backed away from the angry campers.

"It's just Lord Hermes!" One Apollo kid yelled out to the others. A collective sigh was heard from the campers as they lowered their weapons.

"What the hell!" Hermes high pitched voice screamed out as he took in his surroundings. All the buildings that once stood tall and proud were now reduced to rubble. Small fires were still raging throughout the place and dead demigod coffins were stacked against each other. "What...What happened?" Hermes asked.

"A attack during the night. Bombs were planted in every building. We had no clue until it was too late." Clarisse answered as she helped carry some disregarded weapons to a table.

"Artemis told us about the attack but she said it hadn't happened yet. And that everything was under control." Hermes replied.

"Well clearly nothing is under fucking control! We just had our entire home destroyed in one night and you Gods haven't done anything to help us!" Clarisse yelled as she stormed away from the messenger God.

"Lord Hermes!" Chiron waved as he trotted over to the shocked God. "You must forgive her Lord. She and many others have been through a lot since last night."

"I understand. She and the other demigods must want to kill us Olympians at the moment." Hermes said offhandedly.

"No Lord! They would never..." Chiron nervously laughed but one look from Hermes told him exactly what the God was thinking. "Yeah they want to kill you." Chiron admitted.

"I do not blame them Chiron. I really don't. They've been put through two wars in the past two years. And now their home is destroyed they fought so hard for to protect. And now they have to fight in another war." Hermes said as his downcasted eyes looked over to the shrouds. Chiron following the Gods' eyes answered the unasked question.

"We lost fifty." The ancient teacher said.

"And how many....were...." Hermes didn't want to say it. He truly cared for his children and hated seeing them killed. He hated feeling powerless, watching his children die while screaming out his name for help.

"Five of yours lord."

"We're any of them Connor or Travis?" Hermes cringed. He couldn't bear the thought of those two being killed. He loved them more than anything.

"No Lord. They're alive although Connor is injured. Had a piece of burning wood pierce his leg. He'll be walking again soon though." Chiron said with a small smile. That reassured Hermes a little bit but he was still sadden by the deaths of his five children.

"What's your plan Chiron? Since all of this has gone down." The God asked.

"Honestly Lord. I haven't the slightest clue. I've been busy caring for the wounded and making sure there's not another attack."

"Your basically sitting ducks waiting for your demise." Hermes finished. Chiron only nodded his head as he looked around at his once beautiful home. Hermes thinking for a moment snapped his fingers and had a look that said he knew what to do.

"Gather all the campers. We can't have you all waiting to be overrun and slaughtered. I'll take you to Olympus, call a council meeting and decide what to do from there." Chiron agreed to Hermes request and trotted off to gather the remaining demigods. Hermes took a look at his destroyed cabin and made a silent vow to avenge his fallen children. Ancient laws be damned.