Chapter 8

"Look, Cressida," Scott said, "can we work something out here? I'd like to clear my name so that I don't have to deal with assassination attempts. I mean, that's just more stress for me right now, and I could do with a little less stress, you know?"

"Tell you what," Cressida replied, "I'll make a deal with you. I'll set you up with my handler."

"In exchange for what?"

"Dinner."

"Hey, I don't know, lady, I'm spoken for!"

"Not with you, moron! With Malek. Or Jeremiah, if that's what you prefer."

"That is my preference," Jeremiah said, "And we have a deal."

"Uh, wait, big guy," Scott said, "We haven't discussed this yet!"

"There is nothing to discuss. Dinner it is. A fair price for this information."

"Yeah, something tells me it's a price you don't mind paying."

"Would you, Scott? Would you not wish the chance to set things right with someone you were once close to?"

Scott winced as thoughts of his ex-wife flashed through his head. "That's not fair, Jeremiah. You know I would."

"Then we are in agreement."

"Yeah, okay, fine."

"Good! I am glad we are agreeable. Where would you like to dine, Cressida?"

"I'm partial to Asian Fusion," Cressida said, "But I know you'll be sticking to a liquid diet."

"Wait a minute!" Scott said, "Shouldn't we be getting the contact info first, and then making the dinner plans?"

"What?" Jeremiah asked, "Oh, yes. Please, tell us where to contact this handler of yours."

"Actually," Cressida said, "I'll need to give him a call. He either calls me, or I call him. That's how it works, and inconveniently, I don't have a phone on me."

Jeremiah pulled his iPhone from his rear jeans pocket and handed it to her. "Please, use mine." The exchange caused Scott to roll his eyes once more, but at least he said nothing, as Cressida dialed a number on Jeremiah's cellphone.

"Pick up, goddamn it... oh, hey, Chuck, yeah, it's me. Of course you don't recognize the number, I change phones every once in a while to keep the cops and Ministry off my ass. Hey, I was wondering if we could set up a meet. No, I didn't whack Campbell yet. I don't know, maybe I need to find a different strip joint. Why do I want a meet? 'Cause maybe I'd like a bit more detail on this Campbell guy. Oh, I don't know, so I can find the asshole? Can't do a job if you can't find it, right? So, tomorrow at midnight? The Rose Test Gardens in Washington Park? Yeah, okay, sounds good. See ya there!" Cressida disconnected the line then handed the phone back to Jeremiah. "Done. Can I go now?"

"Where will you go?" Jeremiah asked.

"I'm staying at a place over on Powell. It's sketchy, but it's cheap."

"You could say here, with me."

Scott looked at Jeremiah as though he had lost his mind. Kitty looked at him as though she wasn't happy with the idea of having a third wheel. Cressida looked as though she were pondering the offer.

"Thanks, Malek, I mean, Jeremiah, but I'm good for now, really, I am," Cressida responded. "Anyway, I should be going."

"Will you meet us here, tomorrow night?"